SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
1nonlyj

Do you hike or walk for recreation and/or fitness?

IdaClaire
7 years ago

I've been a hiker and a fitness walker for many years. In the mid-90s I wanted to drop some weight and joined a gym where I walked on the treadmill (at a fast clip) for 45 minutes daily. I walked outdoors when my schedule permitted as well. I lost over 40 pounds by walking and of course, being mindful of what I ate, and that convinced me that walking is a most excellent form of exercise. It's actually my favorite.

Shortly after the weight loss, I began hiking and went on numerous trips to national parks and monuments in the 4-corners region of the U.S. My dad and I took an annual father/daughter trip, and we hiked (backpacked/camped) in some very rugged and remote areas of the Colorado Plateau. My legs have taken me to some incredibly amazing places.

I've recently gotten back into fitness walking, along with DH. How nice it is to share this with my husband, and we are now "in training" to do a lot of hiking on an upcoming trip to New Mexico. For several weeks now we've been going 3 miles together each evening. This isn't a stroll, but a walk that gets our hearts pounding and we can feel the burn in our legs. This past weekend, we decided to increase our mileage a bit - and actually ended up increasing it a lot! We did 7.5 miles on Saturday and another 4.5 miles on Sunday. (The Saturday trek was easy, but we overdid it Sunday by being out during the hotter time of day. I think I experienced a bit of heat exhaustion, and will take steps to prevent that on future walks.)

I've got a new pair of hiking boots (Keens - love them) and plan to start breaking them in this week. I love that there is a trail system practically at our doorstep, and we have a number of different route options. When the temperatures dip, we'll hike the equestrian trails at the lake nearest us. I've done that before (solo) in years past, and just loved being out there. It felt like I was so far from anywhere, communing with nature; the only telltale sign that I wasn't were the planes flying overhead from the nearby international airport.

I'd love to know if there are those here who share my love of walking and/or hiking. What do you do, and where do you go? Tell me about your experiences on your own two feet. :-)

Comments (57)