SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlc712_gw

Occupation?

jlc712
9 years ago

We have such a diverse group of forum members, I thought it would be interesting to talk about what everyone does for a living. What is your current or past occupation? Do you ever wish you'd pursued a different career path?

I'm a supervisor for a state agency working with severely delinquent youth aged 12-21. I've been working for the agency for twenty years. I have a master's in Social Work.

My job is very interesting, but successes are few and far between. I am a little burned out, and the pay in my area and in my profession is low. If I could go back, I think I would have gone to law school rather than getting my MSW. I go to court and deal with legal matters frequently in my current job, and I think I would have really enjoyed being an attorney.

I'm also a mom, and sometimes wish I didn't have to balance work and motherhood. I do the best I can and I have a great kid.

Looking forward to hearing from all of you---

Comments (40)

• tinam61
    9 years ago

I'm sure I'll be an "odd man out" on this LOL. I have a "job" but I do not consider it a career. I've never really wanted a career. I'm hoping what I'm saying will make sense! Back when we first got married, just starting out, we knew that I would work. I had taken some college courses, but never really had a career path. At that point, I wanted children and family, home, etc. was a priority. Somewhere along the way, after the children didn't happen, we realized we were very happy as we were, and were not willing to go through more testing, etc. to have a child. We've never regretted that choice. So I continued in my "job". Now I am a people person and I have loved my many years at the same company. I've moved up the ladder a bit and enjoy what I do. I now work part-time and for the last several years have toyed with the idea of retiring. I could retire on my time with full benefits, but haven't yet been able to make that decision LOL. I'm an administrative assistant with a liason type emphasis on graduate students (I work at a college). Through the years, my job has been very flexible and I've been able to kind of take a back-seat to my husband's career. Which is perfectly fine with me! I wanted to balance work/home and have had the flexibility to work flex hours, to be off when I've need to be off with family, etc. Now I have cut my hours and am able to enjoy my job, community/volunteer work, time with family/friends, etc. In recent years this has been a blessing as hubby and I have each helped care for a dying parent. My father is starting to need just a little help (he's 84) and I am POA for my 96 year old grandmother, which can take up a bit of my time. I'm happy that I am able to have time to spend with them. It's worked for us!

tina

• User
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Tinam61, that really is wonderful that you've been able to care for your parents. I wish our work culture would take greater strides toward flexibility to meet personal matters like this. FMLA doesn't always cut it. I see so many struggles with women (and men) in these areas. A friend is an
    attorney who scaled back a bit on her workload a few years ago to raise her kids. Now,
    her high-profile firm is pressuring her to come back full time, which for her means 70+ hours a week, and she's torn about
    what to do. I know between her family life and work, I won't see her anymore! My sister, however, is an engineer, and her company has bent
    over backwards to accommodate her family life.

I work in the field of education and training. It's mostly consulting work and very flexible. I've been doing this for 20 years, mainly because it allowed me flexibility in raising children and accommodating my husband's career, which has involved lots of travel and a few relocations early in our marriage. I could not have asked for a better career for what it's allowed me to do, but I am truly burned out. Empty. I'm looking for something new in the upcoming years, as my kids need me less. I'm not sure yet what that will be, although my women friends are coming up with lots of new options! For example, one of them is a professional "extra" on television shows and is having a blast.

• Related Discussions

Skip the final inspection and occupancy permit?

Q

Comments (32)
    From what I've seen, policies regarding the length of open building permits really varies according to location. We completed our retirement house a little over a year ago- after 4 long complicated years of building, and our contractor managed to keep our building permit open for the entire 4 years. In that county ( in southwest Florida), a building permit was good for six months, but it could be renewed either by scheduling and going through an inspection, or by paying the county for another six month extension. At the time, there was no limit on the length of time the permit was open ( I think they may have changed things and there is a one year limit now). As long as the building permit was open, the building codes in effect when it was first issued applied to the building. If the permit was allowed to expire, the builder had to apply for a new one, resubmit the plans for approval one more time, and the codes in effect at this later time would apply. I think it's pretty standard policy that any item approved by the county under an existing permit cannot be "unapproved" later on in the event of building code changes. So I'd imagine an evaporation pond approved under a previous permit is safe regardless of how much current inspectors might hate it or how environmentally "unfriendly" county bureaucrats might regard such a device, LOL. That is, hopefully, if there was a final inspection to "close out" the permit for that project. The final inspection "closes out" the permit, ie, the inspector/county signing off that the work has been completed in a workmanship-like manner, meets current standards and codes, etc. Without that final inspection, the permit remains open, expires sooner or later, and the work done under this permit is considered uncompleted. THIS type of scenario is what subjects a homeowner to problems sooner or later, ie, fines, additional inspections and the possibility to being required to tear down the construction, and rebuild according to building codes in effect that the time the open permit is discovered. This situation has occurred in our area where county building and zoning employees discovered that several townhouse and condo developments built after Hurricane Andrew in 1992 were built without the additional hurricane protection ( no hurricane straps on trusses, rebar reinforcement in the outside walls, attachment of tie beam to outside walls) required by more stringent building codes put into effect after 1992. Apparently these dwellings also had open permits that had never been completed, this was discovered about 10 years after the building was finished. The homeowners living in these places at the time this was discovered had no idea these problems existed, but they were still held responsible by the county to make the required fixes. Most of these folks didn't have the money to make these fixes, had their homeowners' insurance policies canceled, couldn't get new insurance and couldn't sell their homes either. The last I heard, they were suing the builder ( well known mass production builder I won't name), the owners at the time of said company ( a large theme park whose name I won't mention either), and maybe the county for not catching these deficiencies during the building process. The builder and theme park both disavowed responsibility for these problems, but I don't know what the outcome finally was. I wouldn't skip a final inspection, and getting that CEO....
    ...See More

New mystery next box occupant

Q

Comments (3)
    Sounds like squirrel damage to me - I've had 2 or 3 boxes damaged this way. You don't need to get rid of the whole box - just screw a plate made of anything, (1" or so block of wood, rigid plastic, etc) with a 1 1/2" hole cut in it over the hole. You can buy them (some are metal) but really easy to improvise.
    ...See More

Movin on in? Temporary certificate of use and occupancy?

Q

Comments (3)
    ...and don't count on it or take it for granted. I can't remember where you're building, but every building department has its own policies. Two locals in N. CA do not issue. One will forfeit your temporary utility deposit if you move in as they otherwise have had a lack of leverage on owner-builders completing inspections. The other won't issue due to liability concerns... but have done courtesy inspections and ignored move ins. Its a moving target.
    ...See More

Confused About Cert. Of Occupancy and Move-In

Q

Comments (10)
    Meeshee1, One further caution of a two step: although you might be able to get a lower interest rate at the time of closing than you would have with a one-time close, your new home will have to appraise to the minimum loan to value that will meet your expected mortgage size (i.e. 80%, 85%, 90%, etc.) otherwise, you may need to come up with more money. Example: at the time of construction loan start, the expected appraisal value of your yet to be built home was $400K, since your proposed new home was similar to ones sold in your surrounding area (square footage, amenities, finishes, etc), and they had recent sales of around $400K at that time. You were expecting an 80% L to V mortgage (i.e. mortgage of $320K) Now, 12 months later, the home sales in your area dropped to around $350K, so an 80% L to V mortgage would be $280K). The difference 320K -280K = $40K, which you would have to pay, or you would need to have an approximately 90% L to V mortgage to have the same monthly mortgage payment. Of course, if the value of homes in your area have gone up since you began your build, this same math can work in your favor. Wishing it is the later versus the former for you. Best wishes and congrats on your new home.
    ...See More
  • blfenton
    9 years ago

SAHM

• Funkyart
    9 years ago

I have had a few careers. I started out with an
    education in scientific research (neuroscience) and then followed a few different career paths
    all around analysis and finding solutions. One evolved into the next.

I am currently a (out of work) software development manager.
    My experience has been almost exclusively in developing new solutions.. new
    software. This may sound like an unnecessary distinction, but developing new solutions is a
    different set of skills and instincts than those required to maintain an IT department or
    product. I am not technical-- no experience with (or desire to) actually writing
    code. As a consultant, I have a broad range of experience -- both in the roles I've
    filled and the industries in which I've worked. I've had clients in government,
    finance, pharmaceuticals, tourism -- even a very well known art museum.
    Despite that (or because of that), i have found it more challenging than
    expected to find that next great job. I recognize my challenge is partly because of where
    I have chosen to settle.. and partly because of the timing. I am ever
    hopeful the spring will bring many new opportunities. I've needed this time off to rekindle my passion and repair some of my burnout.. but I am antsy and ready to get back to work... and I don't want my 5 yr plan to turn into a 6 or 7 year plan!

My 5 yr plan calls for yet another career change. I plan to start a
    business around one of my other passions. I have been working on a business
    concept and will continue to do so until the time is right. Here's to the five year plan!

(edited to cut back on what was a long, self-indulgent post. It's still longer than I'd planned :) )

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Tina, I agree, you have found the perfect situation and I am happy it has worked for you and your family. I am an engineer. Fortunately, when I was younger and my DD was young, I didn't have to travel much, I worked for the federal Government, and could maintain a fair amount of flexibility to be off when necessary, thanks to some wonderful bosses and co-workers. After a divorce and when DD started college, my career actually took a turn. I was offered an opportunity for advancement with more responsibility and it really took off from there. A year later I started dating the man who would become my best friend and forever DH. He had 2 boys about DD's age he had raised, was also in test engineering, and everything just clicked. I finally retired from the Gov job but was asked to continue as a consultant. That is always a good thing if one isn't ready to totally retire, and I wasn't. So I have been having fun with that for the last 9 years. I work on some totally fascinating stuff and with hard working people. Yes, sometimes it is frustrating; it is, after all, the government.

I forgot to answer the other question about an alternate career path. When I was younger, I always was fascinated by anything connected with the biological sciences, and my real desire was medicine. In the late 60's it was almost unheard of for a female to do anything but nursing. I was thinking more along the lines of surgery! My parents thought I was crazy, and they thought I should be a pianist. In my view, my hands were made for surgery. Great fine motor skills, etc. I dated a guy once who was teaching me surgical knots and I could tie them better than he could!

• User
    9 years ago

I am retired now, have been for almost 7 years now (retired at 54), cant believe it has been that long. I was a buyer in a large manufacturing company. Started in the mail room and worked my way up. Purchasing was not something I ever thought I would be in, but life I guess took me in that direction, I enjoyed it mostly because of the people I worked with...., but if I could do it over, I would have preferred to be in real estate, either selling or decorating homes. With bills to pay, children to raise, I didnt feel I could take the risk of leaving a good paying job to follow my passion.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

I was a SAHM until my divorce. Then, went to graduate school. I have now been teaching for 25 years, most of that time with either students with Learning Disabilities, autistic students, and/or students with Emotional Disabilities. I now have a class with 3rd, 4th, 5th grade ED, autistic, ID (Intellectually Disabled), and LD (and various combinations of those) kiddoes.

I am burned out for sure. Education is no longer fun for teachers. Sometimes, it seems it is not fun for kids either, although we try really hard to make it fun. Unfortunately, I didn't start teaching until I was 38 and my ex pretty much wrecked my financial situation and I have never been able to recover fully, so I will be waiting for full retirement now. Oh well.

Here is a sign I have behind my desk:

We do try to laugh every day in my class.

• MagdalenaLee
    9 years ago

I studied sociology in school but wound up a graphic designer. I work at home doing contract work for a specific industry. Things have really slowed down recently and I'm a little torn. I could take on more work but do I really want to? I'm no where near retirement but having time for myself is kind of nice. Less money but more time. Sigh.

I was very close to opening a specialty food shop not long ago, but the shopping center that was going to be built didn't happen and I just couldn't see the shop anywhere else.

I told DH that I think I would have made a good psychologist because I'm a good listener and people like to tell me private things. He said I would never be able to handle it because I would just end of shaking patients by the shoulder screaming, "Just do what I'm telling you to do!" He said I would have made a good judge because then they would have to do what I tell them to do! He knows me so well.

• 3katz4me
    9 years ago

I started out as a dental hygienist. I didn't really know what I wanted to do other than get a decent paying job and not be dependent on a man for my income. I liked science and the program required a lot of science courses. I got done with that program in under three years and went to work full time and kept going to college part time as I knew I wanted a four year degree.

After doing that work for a year I knew it wasn't for me - not at all intellectually challenging and I'd been a 4.0 student in college. I ended up getting a BS in Public Health but after doing an internship in that field I knew I didn't want to do that either.

DH and I moved out of state for his job and fortunately they didn't offer the dental hygiene board exam for another 11 months. So I had to get a job doing something else. I got a job implementing computer systems in medical and dental offices even though I knew nothing about computers back in 1982. I loved the work though, including the travel, and I eventually ended up working with software for hospitals which is the field I'm in today.

My career has far exceeded anything I ever could have imagined. I have an awesome executive level job, working with great people, that provides a level of income that allows for a very nice lifestyle. I grew up in a low income, dysfunctional family and was the only kid to go to college. I say a prayer of thanks every day for my many blessings including a great job, great husband and my health (which is a whole story of its own).

• jlc712
    9 years ago

So interesting! I love hearing all your stories.

Cyn, my DH taught special Ed, severe ID/LD/Autistic/multiple disabilities for many years. He is now an administrator/coordinator with district for the same population. You have a very hard job! I always tell him I could never do his job--but he says he could never do mine.

RoseAbbey, I am another who has considered real estate. Maybe for my next career. I love houses.

I am so envious of those of you who are retired, SAHM, or have flexible schedules.

I forgot to say in my initial post-- my real dream job is to be a philanthropist and historic house rescuer :-) I just don't have the necessary cash flow.

• rosesstink
    9 years ago

I am design supervisor (and sustaining engineer) at a manufacturing company. My official title is design supervisor but much of my time is spent in the sustaining engineering role. I don't have much post secondary education so I've attained my position only thru hard and good work. Some days it's great, some days not so much.

DH thinks I missed my calling. That I should have been a union organizer. He may be right.

• Olychick
    9 years ago

I was a hairdresser since I graduated high school, all I ever wanted to be, as I LOVE, love, love hair! I broke my ankle severely when I was in my 30's so had to give it up. I had no other skills for employment, but luckily had a husband with a decent paying job. He took a promotion, which put us in a new town where we knew no one, so to fill my time, I began volunteering for a Domestic Violence organization. I loved working with the other people involved as well as the clients and discovered I had an affinity for the law. That lead to a full time job in a legal aid office, doing crisis intervention and assisting victims of domestic violence, helping the attorneys with those cases. If I'd had the time/money/undergraduate degree, I would have gone to law school. My coworkers tried to get me to sit for the bar without attending law school (which is possible in our state) but I never did. I toyed with the idea of going to law school when I retired and volunteering to represent women escaping violence whose abusers used the legal system and child custody to escalate the abuse and control their victims. I would have loved it and would have been a fierce advocate. But, even tho' I was able to retire at 60, my only grandchild was born the same year and I became a full time grandma. I love it and am a fierce advocate for him, now!

• violetwest
    9 years ago

I work for lawyers. My original plan as a youth was to go to law school, but life intervened. Soooo glad I didn't! I'm a certified paralegal, and I get to go home at 5:30 and not bear the responsibility of representing clients. Plus . . . I'm a cryer. I'd get up there in front of a mean judge and cry. Not good. This is better!

• fouramblues
    9 years ago

Wow, such a wonderful mix of talents here! I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up. I started as a mathematician, went part time after the birth of DD1, then through DS1 and DS2. I had an interesting and rewarding job, and great coworkers, but was having a hard time with balance, partly due to lack of time for myself. So my 40th birthday present to myself was quitting my job, with the support of my wonderful DH. And THEN I found out there was going to be a DD2! I've had the past 10 years off work. Being a SAHM is wonderful, though difficult at times - best job ever! But DD2 is becoming more independent now. So, yet again, I'm having a hard time with balance. (Too much "me time"?) And now I'm wondering what's next...

• Nothing Left to Say
    9 years ago

Attorney turned SAHM. I worked for the federal government for a number of years practicing environmental law. When we adopted ds, I became a SAHM. Younger dd goes to kindergarten next year and once she hits full day in first grade, I'm planning to look for work. My priorities will be a 40 hour or less job with a minimal commute as dh works looong hours with a looong commute. So I don't know that I will return to the practice of law.

• badgergal
    9 years ago

I worked for 34 years as a Speech/Language Pathologist in a large urban school district. I can truly say it was a great run, but towards the end I was getting tired of the ever increasing demands for testing, statistic keeping and report writing. I loved working with special needs students and it was rewarding to see them acquire and improve their communication skills.

I was lucky to have my best friend be my childrens' substitute mom in their early years while I was working. I am even luckier now to be the care giver for my DD's 20 month old daughter. There is nothing better in the world than being a "Nana". I love my new career. My grandbaby is a non stop talker but I have to be honest and say she is making me look bad as a speech pathologist. Lots of articulation errors but it sounds so cute and she is so cute.

• robo (z6a)
    9 years ago

I do data analysis, research and stats in Education. I really like my job and the people I work with. I come from a long line of teachers and always assumed I'd be one, but I don't think teachers are well enough appreciated these days, and jobs are scarce. My dream job would be architect. Maybe in retirement! The biggest drawback to my job is work environment, I work in a cubicle far from natural daylight.

• runninginplace
    9 years ago

I am a director of career advising for engineers at a university. I love working with this age cohort and my educational background is a good match for this job since I have a bachelor's degree in developmental counseling as well as an MBA with a concentration in HR. Have worked in higher ed administration my entire professional career and although I always have been passionate and engaged in my work, the past few years have been extremely difficult in large part due to a boss from hell who has made work life very challenging.

At this point due to staff cuts I am responsible for 2 other separate areas of administration, each of which used to be a FT job held by someone else. So in addition to advising and guidance with students which I love, I now am doing far too much event planning and alumni programming which I do not. The event planning in particular is hugely stressful and trying to do it along with my day job affects me physically and emotionally in ways that are very negative.

Financially I could leave any time, but I"m not quite ready to retire...I know too many SAH women my age (57) who as empty nesters are desperately seeking social interaction as well as a sense of commitment and engagement, all of which I get at work plus I make a good enough salary that it's not easy to walk away! The boss from hell was finally forced to resign so hopefully we will soon get a better leader-I know we couldn't possibly get anyone worse. I have already decided that next academic year I will NOT be doing the events planning and alumni programming that has been foisted on me, that decision for me is non-negotiable and one reason I am so grateful for financial stability. It's nice to know I can walk away if I choose to.

Meanwhile I'm trying to figure out other social and service outlets before I 'cut the cord'. I am strongly considering going back for a second master's degree since we get free tuition as a benefit at my university. Leaning toward an interdisciplinary master's in liberal studies since this one will be for my own enjoyment and mental stimulation, not for any particular professional gain. I would also like to start volunteering, probably in some capacity that involves working with high school or college kids who need help and guidance. Right now I am operating on a vague plan that in 3-5 years I will retire so hopefully by that time I will have the next stage at least mapped out before I jump!

• Holly- Kay
    9 years ago

I always wanted to be a nurse. I met my first DH when I was seventeen, we married when I was 19. After several years of working in a nursing home I decided I needed to fulfill my dream of going to nursing school or train to be an x-Ray technician. After researching both and interviewing for technician school DH and I decided to start our family first.

I was a SAHM until our youngest was in fifth grade. I ran into a friend while grocery shopping one day and she told me she was in a nursing program. I went home that day and started the process of being accepted into the practical nursing program in our town. I was accepted and started my training in July. In November of that year my wonderful DH of twenty two years died of a massive heart attack. I went from SAHM to a widowed student and single mom of three in the blink of an eye. I knew my schooling was even more important now even though my DH left us very well provided for.

The school district that I went to nursing school in recruited me as a school nurse right after graduation. I loved working with the teachers and especially with the students but it was not at all a challenging position.

Several years after my wonderful DH died I met my second DH. He had a small manufacturing plant and had just purchased another business. He asked me to help sort out the new business during that summer vacation. I found that what I was doing was so challenging and I loved every minute of it. I resigned from my position at the school district and ran the company for my husband. It went from a failing company to a well respected company and eight years later we were able to sell both companies. DH retired and I started another business. I am ready to retire that company and wondering what I want to do next. Starting businesses or rescuing an established business seems to be my forte but running an established business is boring beyond tears.

Sorry for the long ramble but I have worn many hats.

• User
    9 years ago

I'd like to "like" all of these stories--very interesting reads this morning. Holly-Kay, I'm so sorry about your first DH. I'm not quite sure how one gets through that with children.

Runningingplace, your statement about searching for social and service outlets is my dilemma, too. For years, I was fulfilled in these areas by volunteering at my children's schools and socializing with other parents. Those opportunities have decreased now that my kids are older, and I'm searching for outlets for women my age. Mostly, I get asked to go out to bars with a group of women friends for "ladies' nights." Because I'm not much of a drinker, this usually means standing in a crowded bar, holding a watered down drink of some sort, and unable to talk due to live (loud) music. Not much fun. I did that last night and hated every minute of it, but felt I needed to get out and "socialize." No more!

• jlc712
    9 years ago

This is quite an amazing group. It is so interesting how personal life events impact career paths, yet end up leading to even better opportunities. One door closes and another door will open. That is very inspiring, and a positive thing for me to remember.

On a side note, for those who are looking for volunteer opportunities, I recommend looking into CASA:

http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/c.mtJSJ7MPIsE/b.5301295/k.BE9A/Home.htm

So many of the youth I work with started their lives in terrible situations and foster care. They often end up in state custody, and eventually in prison. Many would have greatly benefited from having an advocate.

Thanks to everyone who has commented!

• nanamary2
    9 years ago

I am a retired teacher. I taught for 22 years, all in kindergarten. I knew as a child that I wanted to be a teacher. I majored in Early Childhood Education and fell in love with that age group. When I first started, I taught half day sessions and would have a total of 50 -60 students a day. We worked, we played, we learned about each other and the world. I was so naive, I thought I could do anything. When the Rodeo came to San Antonio, I would take both my classes together and spend the day. Granted, I had LOTS of parent chaperones with me. When I moved to a state with full day kindgergarten, I thought I had died and gone to heaven. (Well on most days!) More time to be creative, to do "extra" art, music, and to help those that needed a little extra 1 on 1. Those were my happy years when I learned "how to teach". I credit a wonderful principal for helping me grow as a professional. That is when I knew I was making a difference every day I went to work. We were encouraged to intergrate our curriculum across subject areas and teaching and learning was fun and rewarding for everyone. That is when I felt the most successful. I actually loved writing my detailed lesson plans, coming up with new strategies. Toward the end of my career, the pendulum started to swing back to everyone being on the same page, doing the same thing and even being told what you had to say in every lesson. The district said this was necessary because we had such a high mobility rate in our area, that children sometimes would fall through the cracks because what was being taught at one school may have already been taught earlier at the new school they moved to. Kindergarten teachers were told to get rid of the "housekeeping area" sandboxes, and even the rest time was not allowed. When I saw this happening, I knew it was time for me to leave. Dealing with children who needed more help than I could provide (emotional, mental, educational), took its toll on me. Today, things are worse. School grades and state test scores are more important than an individual's success in school. Now they are wanting to tie teachers' salaries to school grades. That is not right!

Since I retired, I worked for 6 months as a Tutor in another school. I worked with small groups of failing first graders. I loved it - I got to be creative and give them the help they needed. Of course, that funding was not renewed the next year. Then I was on a team of retired teachers who traveled to schools and did pre and post testing for a grant. We did that for 5 years. That was a rude awakening. Most of the schools involved were minority schools and most were low performing. I got to see how lucky I was in the school I taught at for 17 years. It was a lower income school but we were lucky to have great parent support while the other schools we tested did not.

Now I am a "Nana." I am not allowed to be a "teacher" though. Long story there. I am lucky enough to have baby sat my now 5 year old grandson and recently started caring for my 5 month old grandson. But in my heart, I am still a teacher.

• ladypat1
    9 years ago

I am a physical science teacher in high school. After next year I will retire. I was a SAHM until my kids went to school, then went back to college. First unused degree was social work. I think I would have liked to be a nurse. I love the students, but not the administrators and government so much. Teaching is sure taking some weird turns lately, and it's time to get out. Soon my pay will be judged on my "free and reduced lunch students" test scores vs. teachers in affluent schools whose students are "rich and have many opportunities", then there's a problem. "Doing what's best for students" has been long forgotten in many public school districts. Ok, now I will get off my soap box. :)

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Interesting to see so many in the education field. I wonder what we might read into that?

I have also spent the bulk of my career thus far as an educator. I taught college-level geology for 6 years, then went back to grad school and continued in the education field as part of a large program aimed at improving college-level science teaching in the US. Both of those jobs were excellent and I hang my hat on the work I did there.

Now, I am a freelance writer and education consultant. I'm also a ski instructor and guide. In the winter the academic work takes a back seat and I'm consumed by skiing. It is quite the life. I love it so much, it's a huge part of who I am. The freelance writing is a fun challenge that is new for me. I get to write about skiing, ski instruction, gardening, and geologic/ski/adventure travel. I have my first magazine cover coming out in a few weeks, which is a secret goal I had for this year.

On one hand, I get to do incredibly fun things, I am so lucky. My adventure skiing has taken me to places that never in a million years did I think I'd be able to do. On the other hand, I've fallen farther and farther from the beaten path and I feel less "professional" about my career of late. I'm also not earning much money and that keeps me up at night (briefly).

But I'm staying the course for now. I feel like work will always be there. But the opportunities travel and push myself just don't feel like they'll be there forever. I hope this doesn't make it hard to get back into more rigorous work sometime down the road. Most of all I feel lucky to even have this choice. I've been a hard worker and money saver since college, and I'm fortunate to be able to coast for a little while. I fully recognize the luxury of that position.

Oddly enough, DH is incredibly supportive of my pursuits. Bad judgement on his part, perhaps? :)

• elledi61
    9 years ago

I work part- time in descriptive analysis for a market research company.

Like Jlc, I have a master's degree in Social Work. I worked in the field for five years and left to be a SAHM for my two daughters. My degree specialized in group work, and this came in handy when I volunteered to be Girl Scout leader for both my daughters.

Fast forward, I wanted to go back to work and looked in the classified ads. Remember those? I wanted something entirely different and was lucky to fall into my current position. I work with a great group of women, and one man and my commute is only ten minutes away.

• gsciencechick
    9 years ago

Another educator here: Associate Professor and recently got awarded an endowed professorship. I love my students and colleagues, but the workload is crazy between teaching, research, service, and program coordination. We are very under-resourced, and we've gotten one 3% raise since 2008 and were even furloughed and had to give money back one year. I often ask myself if I can do this another 15 years until retirement.

• awm03
    9 years ago

Started out as a commodity trader, married a co-worker and became a SAHM for 17 years. But I was up to my eyeballs in volunteer work, so decided if I was going to work that hard I might as well get paid. Went back to work in our high school library for several years -- database work, student & teacher assistance, topic research -- to be on my kids' schedule. Retired several years ago to help Aspie son get on his adult footing.

• User
    9 years ago

I was an accountant - BS and then MBA ,when we married, then had children and as I say, took a 14 year maternity leave. I started back part time, and have now been full time for about 15 years (I had a 2 year break). I have been now for about 7 years, at a nice situation which is 5 miles from home with a fair amount of flexibility. The trade off to me is always $ and flexibility. I always have opted for the flexibility.

• maggiepatty
    9 years ago

I work with low-income emotionally and developmentally disabled children. I started out in college intending to be a professor, but after a few years of grad school I realized that I did not have the dedication to succeed in academia and changed course.

I first worked with children who were victims of domestic violence-- a hands-on job dealing with the social problems I'd studied for all those years. Then I had my first baby and I became a mostly SAHM for a long spell in which I homeschooled my kids and worked part time at all kinds of things-- I tutored at the university, worked in a bookstore, worked in a garden center, taught ESL classes, and edited research papers for publication.

Eventually it was time for me to go to work full time and I did not want to continue my work editing and formatting, so I went back to school and got a master's, which led to my current job. My job is very stressful and depressing and the burnout rate is sky high, so I honestly don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up--or whether I even want to continue in this field.

It's hard for me to think of what I would do if I had a do-over. On the one hand I wish I had been more career and money-focused earlier in my life. On the other, I would not give up the years I had at home with my children. In my fantasy life I think of careers that seem like they would be amazingly fun--fabric designer! cowgirl! travel writer!-- but I'm not enough of a self-starter to pursue those dreams. I am probably 20 years away from retirement, so I need to come up with some kind of career plan, but first I have to shop online for the perfect mirror for the dining room!

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Cowgirl, yes! Can you imagine having that as a response to the "so what do you do" question. Imagine how cool that would feel. :)

• debrak_2008
    9 years ago

I work part time in sales. I have worked part time since having my 1st child and will probably continue until retiring. No career just a few office/sales jobs over the years. No college degree so that greatly affects the jobs I can be considered for. I really like organizing events and have done so for non profit groups. My most enjoyable "job" was as a volunteer librarian at a school for 10 years. I made lifelong friends who I still see. I would love a paying job at a non profit organization. Unfortunately these are few and far between, usually requiring a degree or full time hours. If I didn't work at all I would stay super busy volunteering. For those needing a social outlet that is a great way to meet people.

Edited to add: One unusual job I had along the way was as a professional hypnotist. I am no longer certified but still have the skills to do it.

What I really wanted to do was become a deputy sheriff in our county. Unfortunately when I was the age to pursue that, the Sheriff was against women being on the road in active law enforcement and I would have been stuck at a desk (like I am now). I could have pursued being a city police officer or state trooper but I was devastated when I was told the reality and really didn't want those other options.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Karin, congrats on the magazine cover! Can you give us a hint (privately if necessary) about the magazine and/or the article?

• karin_mt
    9 years ago

Thank you OutsidePlaying! The article is about climbing and skiing a particularly special volcano in Chile. It has a big caldera that you can actually ski into, which was dramatic, steep, and wildly fun. An added bonus was that the volcano erupted recently so there was still-steaming lava on the outside of the volcano. All in all, not your average ski trip. I still can't quite believe I did that.

• OutsidePlaying
    9 years ago

Wow! I'll look for it. Thanks!

• Anita Huffman
    9 years ago

It's really hard to describe what I do. I am a regulator with a state agency that oversees the Clean Water Act. My job involves work that takes place within wetlands and streams/rivers/lakes. I issue permits, conduct site inspections and do enforcement when the administrative laws are broken under my program. A typical day can start out with reviewing an application for a large commercial development that is proposing to fill several acres of wetlands, research and visit a complaint about someone operating a back hoe in a stream, visit a site where they plan to remove culverts and roads and restore a stream and wetlands back to pre-European conditions. I advise on projects, have the ability and authority to dictate changes to plans, and work with anyone from Ma & Pa Homeowner to major city projects, from a planned community subdivision to a driveway culvert.

I work to preserve habitat for threatened and endangered fish species (the Pacific NW is a front runner on saving and bringing back anadramous fish from the brink of extinction. My job entails reviewing projects not just for the landowner, but how it can affect downstream landowners. I negotiate settlements. I read streamflow patterns. I educate the public on natural resources. I wear a lot of hats in my job and I wouldn't want to do anything different.

I've been asked repeatedly why I don't go in to management, but at this stage of my career only senior executive management would be a salary game changer. However that would mean spending a lot more time in meetings and never once setting foot on a river bank where I can see river otters, great blue herons and bald eagles.

• neetsiepie
    9 years ago

Guess I've been outed! I posted using another HOUZZ account...but since I'm a public servant, my contact info is public anyway. Got nothing to hide!

• Yayagal
    9 years ago

I met my husband when I was 17 and he was 24. I took a job as a legal
    secretary as I was engaged at 18 and married at 19, a baby at 20, 21 and

1. By then I had stage 4 endometriosis and had a hysterectomy. Knowing I would have no more children, I started thinking of what I'd like to do really. I had been cutting hair since I was ten and was very artistic so, when my youngest went to first grade, I called and enlisted in hair dressing school. I went school hours and got a job in the harbor almost a walk for me. After six years I decided I wanted to invest in a building and buy it and open my own salon which I did. Now I could get back to my art work. I had 40 years of working in a studio and selling my work plus I worked in the salon too. By the time I was 40 my kids were all gone, daughter was married and two sons had bought homes. I continued my double life until I retired. I feel I had the best of two worlds. I worked really hard at two areas that are my passion so it never felt like work. I was always surrounded by creative people with lots of ideas so work seemed like fun. I have no regrets.

• cyn427 (z. 7, N. VA)
    9 years ago

Cool, Anita! My DH worked on the Clean Water Act-EPA working on water his entire career. Small world.

• dedtired
    9 years ago

I worked in Development, better known as fund raising for non-profit orgs. My favorite place to work was for our city's large library system. The work was rewarding and the people were fun and wacky. I also had some great bosses.

After that it was pretty much downhill as far as enjoying my job. I really should have gotten out of it, but of course I was now a manager, making pretty good money and great benefits. Hard to give it up.

I did get to go to lots of galas and fancy events, as well as meet interesting and enormously wealthy people. I saw a side of life most of us regular folks never see. Of course, I was working these parties, not the same as being a guest. I had to chat up the rich people. I was not invited to take the family jet to their ranch in Montana.

I have a friend who is a college counselor at a private school and loves it. I think I would have enjoyed that.

Retirement is fairly boring. I do some volunteer work but I need something more. sigh.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm