New mystery next box occupant

nydepot

I'm in western NY state. I have a standard bluebird box that finished up a pair with 3 nestlings in the end of June. The next box was then cleaned out.

I went on vacation the 2nd week of July and returned to find the hole chewed to enlarge it and the box half full of lawn grass clippings (both dried tan and dried green). No depression, like a nest bowl, just half full. The hole is barely larger than it was being more beveled now than actually larger.

I know I have both gray and red squirrels around. I live in a rural area and I consider both to be infrequent in my yard. I've seen baby reds and I have 1-2 gray squirrels that visit the feeders on and off. I also have chipmunks and assume (do to range) flying squirrels.

Any idea what it could be? I've been watching it with binos and have not seen anything during the day.

I cleaned the box out and I'm not sure if I should replace it do to the hole damage.

Thanks,

Charles

SaveComment3Like
Comments (3)
Thank you for reporting this comment. Undo
nydepot

No thoughts form anyone?

Save    
CaWill

Sounds like squirrel damage to me - I've had 2 or 3 boxes damaged this way. You don't need to get rid of the whole box - just screw a plate made of anything, (1" or so block of wood, rigid plastic, etc) with a 1 1/2" hole cut in it over the hole. You can buy them (some are metal) but really easy to improvise.

Save    
rober49

I 2nd what CaWill said & recommend a live trap and/or a good quality pellet rifle. I use both. if you relocate them ( I do not ) you have to take them at least 20 miles preferably with a river or interstate highway in between you & them.

Save    
Browse Gardening and Landscaping Stories on Houzz See all Stories
Landscape Design To Make Your Garden Memorable, Add a Hint of Mystery
An element of mystique — intriguing gates, an interplay of light and shadow, hidden views — can take your garden to the next level
Full Story
Holidays Simple Pleasures: Enjoy a Restful Boxing Day
Catch up with friends on December 26 without catching the stress bug by taking the easy route to entertaining at home
Full Story
Modern Homes Houzz Tour: Complexity Hides Inside a Concrete Box
Don't be fooled by the monolithic exterior. This Canadian home is more open, light and multifaceted than it may seem
Full Story