SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kidogo_gw

Not sure what to do with mystery irises at new house-suggestions?

kidogo
13 years ago

Hello,

I hope this isn't redundant, but I did a search and could not find an answer.

In short, we recently relocated from Phoenix to St Louis. My husband has been here since late winter and I joined him about a month ago. Upon my arrival here our well (a real well, not decorative) was overgrown with weeds and ivy - which was growing into the well. Not good thinks I, so I started to pull out the weeds. I planned to plant some ornamental grass I found on clearance, figuring that would keep weeds in check and hide the concrete monstrosity. In my pulling, I discovered there were some struggling rhizomes amongst the mess - which, by the spiky leaves I assume to be irises. I also found a stone outline to an old flower bed that has been buried and taken over by grass. My thought was to mulch over the grass for the winter so the grass dies & adds some nice compost. I can then see what bulbs come up around the well in spring (I know there are daffodils and I found a few mystery bulbs too), them move things around, buy new plants, etc etc and revive the old bed.

My issue is as follows: many of the rhisomes were pulled up in my effort to de-ivy the area and when I planted the ornamental grass. What I pulled up are currently in carboard boxes in my garage. Though suffering from lack of light, the rhizomes all seem to be in good condition - nice and fat - and had not yet gotten compacted. I would like to pull up the rest that are in the ground (which are starting to spout now that they have some light!) and move them to a different location in the future flower bed since the ornamental grass will just choke them out. However, the bed obviously isn't ready to be planted yet. I thought about pots, but unfortunately, most of my gardening stuff is back in Phoenix, and I'd rather not spend a bunch of money on buying duplicate pots (pots are really hard to find out here this time of the year anyhow). I looked into storing them but I have no clue what kind of irises they are, and there are quite a few rhizomes - too many to stash in the fridge. I can replant them back around the well and pull them up again in spring, but I don't know if that is the best option either. Does any one have any suggestions on what I could do with them?

Thank you for you advice!!

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio