SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
loger1_gw

What locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine?

loger_gw
9 years ago

I wanted to see what locked my Neighbor’s 6.5 Briggs Quantum Edge Engine on his small 22” mower as mine. Last season he told me his son hit a rock that bent the blade throwing it out of balance. He straightened the blade well enough to finish last season. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

I wanted to see if the bent blade and balance issue could possibly be related to it locking. IMO, the flywheel key s/h sheared to save the motor. Causing it not to run until the key was replaced to put it back in time.

I pulled the head and the cylinder had deep scores deep on the carb side. That was leading me to pull the carb until I saw approx a 1/16” layer of grit due to no filter. At that point I felt the grit entering the cyl caused the scores. I forced the piston out of the locked position and it turned fair but I knew it was a parts eng at that point.

I stripped it of the spares I wanted and gave the bulk to a friend that had 2-3 of the engines needing parts.

Do you feel the grit and low very dirty oil was the Killer? I felt the crank probably looked bad due to the condition of the “Low Dirty Oil”. Splitting the case was out of my time frame after seeing the cyl. LOL!

No Pics due to not being able to post 1 or 4 but once vs a Red X. All the problems are since the software switch and switching to AT&T U-Verse Broad Band (about the same time). There were indications that my modem was switching Off/On that a Tech seems to have resolved.

All of my past and present Pics attached were .jpg extensions. What extensions are working for you?

Comment