Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_1311143

Finishing touches – Towel Ring location, need opinions

User
9 years ago

Hello. My
bathroom is starting to come together and I’m finally starting to pick out of
the finishing touches and decorative pieces. Before I had two round towel rings
on each side. I’m wondering if I do the same if it will look too busy (?) I don’t
have a ton of space and the location of the outlet on the RH side is a little awkward
assuming I put a towel rack nearby.

Do you think
two round towel bars on each side is best for this space? Otherwise I have seen
those towel racks that sit on the countertop.

Thank you J

Comments (57)

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago
    • I think they thought you meant 2 rings for each side, it did sound like that. My master will be in an alcove just like yours and I was trying to decide about towel holders also. I don't like rings, stick out too far and just don't look right to me.

I thought about going with just a small, maybe 12 or 14 inch towel bar, big enough for just 1 hand towel. Let us see a picture on wht you decide.

User thanked zorroslw1
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

oh wow, you are correct - I did say two towel rings on each side - sorry for the confusion. I meant one on each side (equals two in my head but I wrote it wrong)

I'll post pics once done. If I make any mistakes then you can learn from mine hehehehe

• Related Discussions

towel rings

Q

Comments (8)
    My tiny bathroom has 4 (FOUR!) towel bars, the ones with the ceramic type ends. I can't wait to take all 4 of them down and just add a couple of hooks, since those don't take up as much space. I'm just not sure how to do it without breaking the tile they're attached to. My bathroom also has one of those ceramic closed tp holders which is so smartly located almost behind the toilet. Can't wait to take that off the wall too, but I got one of these (see link) for in front of it. The only thing I don't like about this tp holder is that, unlike the closed kind, the paper will rollllllllllll off pretty fast, so we are probably going through paper faster than we used to. However, as you mentioned, it makes changing rolls much easier and faster, so... Here is a link that might be useful: tp holder + magazine rack
    ...See More

SingleDad needs help w/ some finishing touches!

Q

Comments (9)
    I'd consider putting the two towel holders in between the two vanities, on the side of each vanity. One on the right side of the left vanity, one on the left side of the vanity on the right. Not on the wall between the vanities, but on the sides of the vanities themselves. That keeps movement of wet hands going towards the center of the two vanities and visually keeps things sort of balanced. The color of your hand towels can be used to add a punch of accent color to the room as well. Mongo (the un-decorator)
    ...See More

existing owners of elux washer/dryer iq touch and wave touch...

Q

Comments (97)
    Jmith, Everyone loads varies from type of fabrics to water temperatures. My loads is all over the place where I can wash my king size flat/fitted and 4 king pillow case with a king size fleece cover in one load to two bathroom mats in one load. Weighing fabrics does nothing but causes extra unnecessary step in doing laundry. Once you do several large or extra large load, the machine will let you how much you can fill the machine without over loading. If anybody over load this machine will notice how long it take for the load to balance for the spin cycle! I'm a older WT Lux user......
    ...See More

Need advice for bath final touches

Q

Comments (21)
    I really think you can't go wrong; the rest of the bath is pretty neutral. I'd personally prefer metal or white, just because they won't be as noticeable and I think of those accessories as utilitarian rather than decorative. I'd rather bring color in with art than with a tissue holder. So, I think you're going to have to go with what you prefer. Seems like any of the colors would work. Do you have any similar sized items in black, brown, or wood that you could just place in the bath to give yourself a visual of how you like them? My sense is that your eyes would be drawn to the stronger colors because the rest is neutral, but that would be fine, if YOU like it.
    ...See More
  • User
    9 years ago

You might consider hooks instead of rings. That way you could start with the suction-cup variety to allow you to pick the most convenient and aesthetically pleasing location to mount them permanently.

User thanked User
  • lam702
    9 years ago

I don't like countertop towel holders, I prefer to have as little as possible on the counters. Towel rings, hooks or a towel bar would all work, you can keep it small and simple if you don't want to call attention to it. Your mosaics are lovely......

User thanked lam702
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks lam702 .. here's a pic of the "before" area.. gosh it was hideous.. LOL I didn't take care of it too good because I hated the space. There was clutter everywhere...

I'm already considering getting ready in my upstairs (extra) bathroom that I've never used until construction got underway in the new bathroom. The new bathroom makes me so nervous. I'm sure with time that will fade...

In the pic below you can see we had towel rings on each side. We also had a much lower vanity. When I get ready in the morning I tend to sit down. I wont be able to see myself (if sitting down) in the new set up - the vanity and mirror are both too high so I'm seriously thinking about moving my "make up" and "get ready" area upstairs.. I never thought after my "dream" bathroom was done I'd get ready somewhere else.. LOL

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Got it! FWIW, I did originally use a hook for my hand towel and I replaced it with a ring. I just didn't like the way it looked when the towel was on the hook.

• lam702
    9 years ago

Your "before" bathroom doesn't look bad to me. But I do love your "after" We are in the process of our upstairs bath remodel (DIY) and its got a long way to go til its complete. yet I am already planning on what to do for my other bathroom. I haven't told my husband that yet!

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

" I haven't told my husband that yet!" That sounds like something I would be avoiding too hahahaha

We were going to DIY our master bath but I knew it would take months and we have a great contractor with really good rates so we just let him do it. It was so exciting coming home every night and seeing the progress. Of course DIY really makes you appreciate the space because of all the hard work. We may tackle our upstairs bathroom someday.

We saved our old vanity because it was in almost perfect condition and donated it to a local business. The "before" picture doesn't show it, but we had carpet in the bathroom.

• LE
    9 years ago

I would do the ring on the wall, but I don't like stuff on the counters. I just went through the "one vs two" decision recently and put up one, figuring if we decided it looked odd or wasn't functional, Kohler will still be making them for a while. So far, so good.

User thanked LE
  • kudzu9
    9 years ago

I think small towel bars are best for you. Towels on rings often look rumpled and, if too damp when hung, can get wall wet/moist. Also, unless mounted into blocking or a stud, towel ring mounts can loosen up over time as they have a single attachment point and they experience more pulling force due to the inherent design.

User thanked kudzu9
  • emma
    9 years ago

I don't use towel hangers in the bathrooms because people have a tendancy to drip water on the walls. As soon as I moved into my new home I took them down. I use folded hand towels and leave them laying on my vanity. Same in the kitchen. I pick them up at night and hang them on the shower rod in the master bath where they dry by morning. Clean hand towels every day.

User thanked emma
  • LE
    9 years ago

Looking at your pix again, I think you'll end up wanting a towel on each side since you have two sinks. If you washed your sink on the right, would you want to drip across to the left to the towel? That said, I don't know what you guys are doing to drop water on the walls from hand towels! Ours are barely damp after drying hands. (But maybe I'm not doing it right?!) I do also think the short bars can look good, but it sounds like you've already got a ring picked out that you like. Hope to see photos when you're done!

User thanked LE
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Lori! Thanks again. I think we'll end up doing the rings on each side. I ordered the PB ones over the weekend. I also bought a stand that sits on the countertop (found at Homegoods 12.99).... The stand looks bad in my opinion especially with my non matching kitchen towel hanging lol. I'm hoping the rings look better. To be honest I never worried about water getting on the walls since I never had issues in the past.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Don't laugh.. Here's the countertop one with the non matching kitchen towel hanging inside out (for temporary use) I'm hoping the rings for the wall look better ..

• LE
    9 years ago

I love that sparkly wall! But yeah, that stand isn't doing much for the scene!

User thanked LE
  • enduring
    9 years ago

Beautiful space. I agree with those that mention wall bars. I think they will be more sturdy and you can spread your towel out to dry. I have seen nice short bars.

User thanked enduring
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks everyone. My towel rings come in today so I'll have to see how they look. I'm having a hard time finding the smaller 8"-10" straight towel bars.... Everything online is pricey and chrome. If the rings don't look good then I'll look harder for the smaller towel bars.

• kudzu9
    9 years ago
    There is an easy way to get just the towel bar you need. Many towel bars are not one piece: they consist of a pair of brackets and the bar. A couple of months ago I had an 18" towel bar that I needed to fit into a narrow space, so I simply cut several inches off the bar with a hacksaw and ended up with a custom, 14" towel bar. Since the cut end is hidden in the hole in one of the brackets, it looks fine. There is no evidence that I altered it...it's just shorter than it originally was.
    User thanked kudzu9
  • enduring
    9 years ago

Yes, exactly how Kudzu describes. I did the same thing with an 18", cut it down to a 14" bar. It has to be one with a bar and separate brackets.

User thanked enduring
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kudzu9 and enduring, thank you both! This is why I love these forums. I would have never of thought of just buying a regular towel bar and cutting it down!

My round towel bars came in yesterday I'm going to think about it for a while and then decide. I'll try to post pics. (They aren't the greatest)

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

• happyallison
    9 years ago

I ordered two towel rings for my vanity as well, I'm curious what you decide, my vanity set up will be similar. Very pretty bath MrsShayne! I love that tile. I never considered a towel bar, don't know why. I am however doing the towel bar hack for my shower towels, as my space only allows for an 18inch towel bar and I didn't find many double towel bars in ORB that were affordable, so I'm just cutting down a 24 incher.

User thanked happyallison
  • Gracie
    9 years ago

I think you might need to do a small bar and fingertip towels. That's a good idea to cut down a regular bar. When I got my Motiv/Ginger 8", it was on sale at Build.com and I used a coupon code. I paid around $40 and even that was a splurge. But it was so darn cute. Now they're $70???!!!

User thanked Gracie
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

happyallison , lori_inthenw_gw

Here are the towel rings up. My husband got them up yesterday along with a bunch of other stuff in the bathroom. The bathroom is about 85% finished and I finally used my new shower for the first time this weekend!!!

View from the tub....

• LE
    9 years ago

Wow, doesn't that look great! You must be very happy. They always look "too high" to me until I put the towels on, then they look fine. After that, I don't notice them separately any more, they are just part of the whole. And the whole here is very nice! (I especially like the contrast between the sparkly wall and the warm earthy wood on the vanity.)

User thanked LE
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Lori. I stressed over the height and location and finally just told my husband - "put them in!!!" hehehehehe

• Gracie
    9 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It doesn't interfere with the right hand side after all. Sure looked like it would from the photo. Looks good!

User thanked Gracie
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you may_flowers ... that was my concern too. I originally wanted them centered on the walls but then the RH side outlet would have been covered and my husband threw a fit at that idea LOL.... (I guess wet hands near the outlet wouldn't be good anyway.. no one wants the surprise "zap!" when drying off hehehe)

• sjhockeyfan325
    9 years ago

Looks perfect!

User thanked sjhockeyfan325
  • happyallison
    9 years ago

MrsShayne it looks perfect. How high up did you go from the counter? I'm placing my switches outlets, and planning for the towel rings right now. Thanks for the update, it's such a pretty bathroom.

User thanked happyallison
  • Patricia Kuehne
    9 years ago

Love your vanity, but I would do mine with round mirrors, pretty tile also.

User thanked Patricia Kuehne
  • Gracie
    9 years ago

I think the rectangular mirrors are best with oval sinks and vice versa.

There have been a lot of mirror questions lately, mostly about using two mirrors. I think yours worked out well because you tiled the entire wall.

You know what you need now to really Houzz it? An orchid between the two sinks. haha!

User thanked Gracie
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for the kind words :)

happyallison I just measured and my rings are 24.5" from the counter (to the very top of the towel ring) hope this helps.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

may_flowers - it's funny you mention you like oval sinks with rectangular mirrors because I was worrying that I should have gotten rectangular sinks but I'm happy with how it turned out. I definitely wanted to go with two mirrors to show off the BS but I will admit, the old mirror (big one piece mirror) was easier to get ready in front of...

Your last line had me cracking up and I totally agree it's a Houzz thing hehehehe... I actually bought a fake plant after drooling at all the fancy pics online here... I always see beautiful (real) flowers in fancy pictures and wonder if they are brought in just for the pics or if they are always there?? hehehehe

My faux wannabe arrangement will have to do. It's not in the bathroom now because I liked the glass jars on the vanity better but I'm sure the flower will makes its way in there someday.

• Edie Nicosia
    9 years ago

came here to check on your remodel again and it looks amazing. Love love love the tile behind the mirror. it gives the whole bathroom a big wow feeling. classy and beautiful. I still have not decided what do behind mine.I like a look like yours but I don't now if I have too much going on already and also don't know how to tie it in elsewhere in my bath.

As for your job you did good , real good.

User thanked Edie Nicosia
  • Gracie
    9 years ago

The hydrangea is pretty. Maybe the orchid can go on the toilet. ;)

User thanked Gracie
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Edie Nicosia - thank you for the kind words. I would see how the rest of your bathroom comes together and then you can always decide if a backsplash is needed or will look good. With the finishes you picked and the three mirrors going up, you may not need a BS.

I wanted to share some more pictures, especially the shower area. You'll notice I did the same looking tile but I used rectangular pieces in the shower rather than squares tiles used above the vanity.

Here's a B&A view when you enter the bathroom.

I struggled SO MUCH with the big wall next to the shower. Since the vanity is wood, I wanted to bring some more wood into the bathroom so I had my hubby put up the shelf and then I put the little stool next to the shower. I was also hoping the shelf would help hide the fact the toilet sticks out from the wall!!!

Shower area

• xmkx
    9 years ago

Looks beautiful!

User thanked xmkx
  • leavemeout
    9 years ago

Love your bathroom! The shower is beautiful. I love the dark tile on the floor. The wall tile looks like a waterfall, and the entire bath looks soothing -- as a bathroom should be, a restful, calm place. I wish I'd put dark tile on the floor of my shower. I chose white, and it's always dirty, especially since my dog likes to sleep there! You made great choices -- enjoy!

User thanked leavemeout
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

xmkx & leavemeout - thank you both very much!

leavemeout - my tile guy said the same thing about the shower looking like a waterfall! I just love it. I bought this tile over a year ago and dreamed about what it would look like in my head so it's very nice seeing the finished product. I'm already a little nervous about the white grout long term, but so far no issues. I am glad we did the dark floor with dark grout. My hubby hated my ideas when construction first started, but now that it's done, he's finally come around and said I did good hahahahaha

• zorroslw1
    9 years ago

The rings look perfect! And The square mirrors are perfect visually since there are squares in the wood vanity.

User thanked zorroslw1
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks zorroslw1 ! I never noticed the matching shapes with the vanity and mirrors - good eye :)

• User
    9 years ago

Wow! Your bathroom looks great! I love that you did the shower tiles in the north/south orientation as opposed to the east/west orientation. I really love the colors of the shower tiles, too!

User thanked User
  • xmkx
    9 years ago

Any chance you could post a photo of a close up of the floor? do you wipe down the shower every time you shower? jus wondering about the maintenance with glass tile in the shower.

User thanked xmkx
  • User
    Original Author
    9 years ago

The floor and shower tiles are from Lowes (so nothing fancy or expensive). We used a charcoal grout and whatever sealer my contractor used left some of the grout darker in certain spots.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_487338-89276-0487338_0_?productId=50013992&Ntt=charcoal+tile&pl=1&currentURL=%3FNtt%3Dcharcoal%2Btile&facetInfo=

The first time I used the shower the glass took hours to dry so I bought a squeegee ... I use every time I'm done and it is a pain but goes by quickly.

I will post pics next from my phone. Thank again.

• User
    Original Author
    9 years ago
    Here are the tiles close up.
  • juliewilds1
    8 years ago

I love it!!! The rings looks great!!! What is your paint color and your wall tiles??? I just love them and it is exactly what i was looking for!!!

User thanked juliewilds1
  • User
    Original Author
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

juliewilds1 - paint color is BM Moonshine... (I hated it at first but now I love it.. It was hard going from that orange color (before) to something so light. It looked like primer at first...) The white/marble looking wall tiles are from the tile shop and are ceramic - Below is the link

http://www.tileshop.com/product/denver+moon+9+x+15.75+in.do?sortby=ourPicks&refType=&from=Search

Here's a Houzz link showing the same tiles used-

http://www.houzz.com/photos/query/Denver-Moon-9x15.75-tile

The dark charcoal tiles are from Lowes and the light green glass tiles are from Overstock (also sold at Home Depot). Thanks so much for the nice comments. I'm really enjoying the bathroom. Oh, I forgot to mention - I used bright white sanded grout on the shower walls and dark charcoal grout on the floor.

• juliewilds1
    8 years ago

Oh thank you, thank you!!