SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
divine_serenity_gw

What do other working moms do?

Ok to start I do work full time but I work friday/saturday/sunday nights as a home hospice nurse. I love what I do, but am a little frustrated. Fridays I send my 3 y.o to an in home childcare near my house so that I can rest a little longer before i go in for my 16 hour shift at 4pm. This winter has been rough with sickness, and I've taken off a partial shift a few times so that my hubby can work, I'll keep the sickling home with me, then take a nap and be available for work starting at midnight, but I was informed today that I am 1 day away from being put into the discipline tract for absenteeism. Part of the reason my kid is sick ( i think) is b/c of the parents that send sick kids to daycare despite knowing they are sick. Even if he is well, he comes home from there with snot and a mild cough more days than not!

My work doesn't have a designated 'sick bank' where you get x number of days a year designated to sick days. (my husband does..LUCKY GUY)

Does anyone else out there work in healthcare where they actually give you a certain number of sick days/year, And you can use them with out penalty? In our organization if you take more than 5 sick days in a rolling 12 months you are put in the discipline tract, and therefore are not considered for a raise. I mean really you don't want us to come to work if we are sick but if we keep our germs at home we are penalized.

I am the only one in our office that has young kids so it's not like I can trade shifts with another parent. Nor does anyone want to work 12-16 hour night shifts like I do.

I just don't know what to do, i work weekends to try to minimize this. My husband use to have fridays off so it was a non issue, well they changed his shift at work so he is back to working M-F when before he worked either Sunday- Thursday, or Mon-thursday 10 hour days.

Comments (3)

Sponsored