SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
xtremeski2001

New HVAC & Home Energy Audit

xtremeski2001
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi All,

Got great advice here for my new HVAC and it was installed a few months ago. We went with all Carrier equipment (AC - 4-ton two-stage 24ACB748 w/ NIM Control 16 SEER, Furnance 59MN7A100VZ1 97.3% AFUE, and AA600M humidified). We live in SE Pennsylvania and have a 2,650sqft (3,500sqft if you include basement) two-story home (w/ unfinished daylight basement). Our heat is natural gas, AC is electric, home built in 1992.

Our heating bill went down ~20%, less than I expected. However, after our new equipment was installed we had a home energy audit performed (hooked the fan up to our door, created negative pressure, covered the vents, used a infiltrometer, etc.) and wasn't sure what level of reliance we should place on it and whether any of their suggestions would result in a "material" difference (either via the bill or in comfort). Would love to read your thoughts!

It's hard to summarize all the data, but is says total leakage area is 3.3sqft, and air exchange rate is 10.72 times per day. There appears to be the most leakage via the returns (which use the wall cavities). The summary says we lost about 1.90 tons of AC (48%) on the hottest days and 29,244 BTUs (32%) on the coldest days. They calculate this as 36% loss in SEER and 24% loss in AFUE. In otherwords, our brand new 16 SEER AC is operating at a 10 SEER. Our 97% AFUE furnance is operating at 61%. It's no wonder our bills haven't gone done!

They recommend the following:

1 - Bring attic insulation to R-38 (from R-18).

2 - Seal duct work

3 - Aeroseal duct work

4 - whole house dehumidifier (I think our AC does this already)

5 - A lot of small fixes ... replace weather stripping, caulk cracks, etc.

Comments (10)