SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oldnewgardner

older house, new hvac diy help!!!

oldnewgardner
14 years ago

I have to install the first Central HVAC my 1950 era house has ever had. I bought the unit but had to retire before I got it installed. Can someone help me with DIY instructions.

I did a lot of plumbing, electrical, and such construction during my 32 years in drinking water treatment, so I know I can handle it, but I have not actually done any HVAC. I was studying with the intent of becoming an HVAC tech. in the year prior to entering the water treatment field.

I have most of it figured. I have done the loading calc. and my unit is slightly oversized at 3.5 tons because I may be expanding my floor space from the present 1000 to 1400 sq.ft. I need information on current licensing requirements in California for the AC install and advice on how to adapt the flexible ducts to the Air handler/furnace.

I have purchased a couple of universal plenums and know where to get ducting and I already have registers purchased but not installed. I am just not the 100% clear on the connection to the air handler I would like to be.

Comments (18)