SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jenna_carr

PLEASE help me decorate!!!

Jenna Carr
9 years ago
We've had a huge mess for 6 weeks. Just finished my last dilemma (Homesick in Louisiana) I'm Trying to clean up & get things in order before our family reunion. I know nothing about Photoshop & living in Louisiana means I will have to order what I need. Shipping can be rather costly if I have to return the things I choose... Everyone's help / advice is GREATLY appreciated! I need a new desk for the office. Black armoire will have to stay. Should I paint it? I need new lighting and maybe an area rug? Oh... And Decor. Planning to leave my settee in the foyer. Not sure if I should move the mirror down & use what I have or maybe put a wall of canvas photos of my kids etc? I need a new fixture in the foyer also. would like some type of lantern. I would also like a cream throw on the Settee and a plant where the wire basket is.

Comments (1.2K)

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here ya go Lainie. Sorry about the lighting - was still dark this morning. I hope all of you have a FANTASTIC day!
  • marrymaid
    7 years ago
    Like the plant on the right. Could you move it a little to the right?
  • Related Discussions

Please help me decorate this wall.

Q

Comments (1)
    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><md>Anyone?
    ...See More

Please help me decorating my new house sitting area in kitchen.

Q

Comments (5)
    The first thing I would recommend is that you educate yourself in the different decor styles. You have several going on here. 1. Put in top search box (one at a time) transitional, contemporary, modern, etc. Have a plan before you begin. 2. Get a narrow three hole binder and include the following categories: stores, budget, ideas, etc. Get loose leaf paper, and plastic top loading pockets. 3. I would put a huge wall decor piece over the couch. Window treatments - same color as the walls. Get from your local artist or art.com. Only get a print and get it framed locally. Rug - make sure it goes under the entire seating area - and more. Lighting - a table lamp or wall sconce in each corner at chest height. You can have pattern, and pick one small print and one large print that goes together. 4. Look at your decor styles from #1. for ideas. Measure twice, buy once.
    ...See More

please help me decorate my stairway and upstairs hallway area

Q

Comments (2)
    I think the bedroom wall area is busy enough with the door decals. The photo of the framed posters up the stair wall looks really nice!
    ...See More

Please help me decorate my lanai

Q

Comments (6)
    treat it like an extension of the living space... what do you want to look at from the interior. I would change out the cushions for a solid color, put the color/pattern into an 8x10 area rug. at first glance, the sofa on the solid wall. Is there a view to take in, or is it just outside seating Do you need the dark wood tone to calm the bright natural light or can you paint the interior, including the house siding, ceiling and slatted wall? I'd paint it all to brighten it up and help to lighten up the interior space (I say that, of course, without seeing the interior space adjacent to the patio) I wouldn't make it 'too cute' with tropical decor...Just a subtle oasis, neutral.
    ...See More
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I can definitely do that. Will move it after work. Thank you!
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Here's the other pic's requested
  • Natalie
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Hi Jenna!

I'm not sure how these 3 changes look in person, but I'm not really seeing them as inprovements. Sorry. The plant (right side), is ok, but the scale is off--too much foliage compared to the settee and rug. About 1/3 less leaves then perhaps it would look right. Hope that makes sense. :))

• Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Thanks for the pics Jenna.

Definitely like the plant placed to the right of the settee as it allows the rug to be pushed closer to the front door.

I do prefer the shutter placed to the living room side if it is to stay in this room.. All other walls have something tall .. armoire ,window & kids pics.

I do agree with Natalie that the plant looks a bit too dense for the soft settee. I think that a Boston fern placed on a small table would be nice to add softness to the arrangement.

The vase & stems in the corner of the arches adds a lot of softness in that spot.. but the crate does not work.

One more favour .. please place the glass vase/flowers that is now beside the fireplace in the arches corner for a look. Thanks.

Remember what a drastic change was made when you had the woodwork & fireplace surround painted light... WOW. I think once your armoire is painted light the same result will happen in this room.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Natalie & Lainie. It may take a little while but, with all of my Houzz friends advice.. We'll get there eventually! No hurry.

I haven't called the painter re: the armoire yet. I haven't found any pics with it being distressed w/ the black showing through. I have to see it before I can try to explain it to him. If anyone has samples please post them.

If the fern will look good on a table in the foyer can someone show me options of items I can actually purchase? I like so many diff. Things I would not know what size, color, or shape to consider.

I brought the plant in my kitchen to the foyer just to show you what a diff. Plant / color would look like.. Not a good idea! Very heavy - my back is not feeling too good know. Haha.

Lainie, I think this is the pic. You wanted me to post!

Have a good evening my friends...
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Will keep trying until I find a place for this shutter...

Happy weekend everyone!!!
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Thanks for the pics Jenna.I think that this type of vase between the arches would be perfect. Perfect for adding some softness to this area without being to obvious.

Need glass or very light colored vase ( which doesn't take up any visual space.. blends in nicely with wall color) & some tiny flowers like these. Could even have an aqua tinge to the glass.

How tall is this arrangement? I have seen some very nice glass floor vases recently. Suggest looking for one that has a wide bottom & then tapers to small at top.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!!! I will measure this one when I get home & will let you know.

I hope you enjoy your day!!
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

I suggest you leave the corner with arches alone.

For plant by entry a floor plant that is taller than settee and overlaps the pictures.

• smm5525
    7 years ago

Two colors distressed finish examples

• smm5525
    7 years ago

How much black shows depends on how heavy you distress

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Lainie the height of the vase is 19 1/2" tall

@ smm5525 - thank you for the pic's it helps! I need to find out what kind of paint my painter used last time! I think I'll end up getting diff. plants & sizes for the foyer & let everyone vote as I get confused but, actually seeing it helps.

I have a busy weekend - heading out!

You all have have a good day.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Jenna, I'm all for using a live plant by the settee but the problem is that it will grow.. taller. So I would suggest a Boston fern which will be fluffy & not grow significantly taller for a long while. You would need to put it on a stand.

I do like the vase/flowers by the arches.. just need a larger & a bit taller vase. Adds some softness to that spot. It's all according to what you prefer. How does it look to you ?

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I will look for a Boston Fern when I go shopping.

I love the flowers in The vase etc it just looks rather small in that area in person.

Heading out again!

Thank you...
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Check out a vase that would be at least 30'' tall & bigger on bottom.... that plus flowers should be a good height.

• outshopping422
    7 years ago

Beautiful entry! Have you tried centering the settee under the pis and no plant? Or putting the 2 pics of your children on the bottom and one pic of the two of them together on top..again centered and no plant..similar to my pic :)

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Lainie.. I'll look online
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you outshopping422. Your entry is beautiful!

I didn't think of hanging the pictures like that - great idea! I have 12' ceilings & I thought I had to buy BIG to fill up the wall! Here's a pic. Of the settee centered. That's how I had it in the beginning. I took a picture of it w/ the new rug. What does everyone think?

Also, if you all want to see what it looks like w/ one pic. On top let me know. I can "try" to get someone to hold it long enough to see what y'all think! (My husband hates hanging pictures. Haha)

Gotta run - heading to a church auction!

Thank you to all of you for always trying to help me!

Jenna
  • smm5525
    7 years ago

Yes please try all those looks for the photos and post pics. I think the 4 together are overwhelming the small entry

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Just realized that the photo of it centered didn't post.
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

With the settee centered & no plant the width of the 2 pictures is a lot wider than the settee itself . Looks too top heavy.. so I vote for leaving the plant. The plant helps to add some softness to that spot & brings a bit of dark color down to the settee level.

I do like the idea of 2 pics on bottom & only one on top level.

In outshopping's picture the settee is wider than the picture arrangement which does look great.

• outshopping422
    7 years ago

I think centered and no plant looks very elegant :)

• Natalie
    7 years ago

Hi Jenna---I can't remember if I shared these chairs with you or not.? :)) Hope you're enjoying the weekend. xox

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you! I'll try to get someone to hold the picture in the next couple days.
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you Natalie! You didn't post these exact chairs yet. I really like these. Are they suggestions for the office?

I'm having a good weekend.. Thank you for asking. I hope you are as well. Heading out again!
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Yes Jenna, for the office. This photo I thought inspirational. :))

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I ❤️ it... GORGEOUS!!!
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

I agree... :)

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    This is the best we could do so you could see what this looks like! Happy Saturday! Have a GREAT weekend...

Give me your thoughts! ❌⭕️
  • outshopping422
    7 years ago

#1........ Love it :)

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you!!! I appreciate you taking the time to comment!
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Natalie,
    The curtain rod for the office - did you say it's suppose to extend 1 ft on each side of the window frame? Then I add the finial?
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Hi Jenna---yes exactly as you mentioned. :))

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
  • zazfuzzroc
    7 years ago

Happy New Year Jenna... :)

• Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Hi Jenna.. Happy New Year to you & family. Had been think about you lately & wondering if you had made any more changes.

Saw your post ..but no comments.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    I guess Houzz is having issues. Not sure where my post went. Let me try again...
  • Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Good Sunday morning... I decided to take a break from making decisions on the interior for a little while & declutter! The kids are cleaning out their bedrooms & I have the lady coming to measure their rooms next week for shutters & for the upstairs room as well! Yay! I've been very happy with then ones they installed 1 1/2 years ago.
    In the meantime, I started a new dilemma "My exterior needs a facial" PLEASE go over and give me your thoughts as I need to get a few things done before the hot summer arrives! I couldn't do this without you!!! All my love, Jenna
  • Lainie D'Eon
    7 years ago

Hey, Jenna .. was just thinking about you yesterday! Going to check out your new dilemma.

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Thank you! I've missed everyone! Had a rough start to the New Year tooth extraction - didn't go well - was laid up w/ that and for the last week - flu symptoms but, it was viral so, now I'm feeling better & it's time to get this house interior / exterior in order! Husband still hasn't hung the curtain in the office - HOPING SOON!
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Hi Jenna!

I'm glad all is well on your end.

I'll take a peek at your Exterior dilemma.

See you there. xoxo

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Natalie!!! I've been lonesome!!! I Was hoping all was good your way! Thank you...
    It's been so long since I got the curtain rods. If I remember right... It needs to extend a foot past the window & put it as high above as I can? Where should the brackets go? Even w/ the window frame or a little past? Also the foot on each side - is that including the finial? Or just to pole? Sorry... I know that when he does it - he won't change it.
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Hi Jenna!

Ok, the finial is 3", correct? So 12" plus 3" and a pinch to grow an inch--rod including finial should extend 16" past the window. Brackets can be mounted 1" out from the window. Hang 'em high! :))

Looking forward to pictures. xox

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Natalie. Not sure why I'm not getting notices when you post but, just now seeing this. RUSSELL says today is the day & the curtain rod will FINALLY get hung.

The finial is a 3" but it looks like the base of it is 3" where it screws into the pole. The length of the actual finial is actually 7 1/2".

So, is it 12" + 1" + 7 1/2" = 20 1/2" past the window frame?

Here's a pic. Of the finial
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Jenna---when you have a minute-measure the wall to the right of the window-from the window trim to the corner, and post the measurement. I'll get back to you ASAP. Thanks!

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Hi Natalie. It's 34" from frame to corner
  • Natalie
    7 years ago

Great! 21" beyond window frame is perfect. Post pics. :))

• Jenna Carr
    Original Author
    7 years ago
    Great!!! Thank you. I'll post pic's