Rant about dog rescue
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (16)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Double Dog Rant !!!!
Comments (22)I tip-toed around this thread because I didn't want to see what lay within. It makes me sick to think somebody would trash a satient animal like so much garbage. It's an epidemic in our country and it speaks volumes. Everything is disposable, to be enjoyed until it takes work, and responsibility is too heavy a burden. I know there are situations in life where people must part with a pet out of circumstances they cannot control. It should be a serious matter and undertaken with the gravity it deserves. It doesn't take any more effort to drop an animal at a shelter than it does to drive out to a deserted road and run like hell....See MoreKong question, and rescue dog pulling at the heart strings
Comments (11)He's from a shelter a few hours away. I'm not sure if he was then placed by a rescue or they just got full and he was re-placed at the petstore for adoption. I wouldn't be buying a dog from the petstore, he is a rescue. All my animals are either resuces from the SPCA or the like or pure-breds from reputable breeders who I've researched. Secondly, my boyfriend grew up with pitbulls and has nothing but good to say about the breed, and we have a pitbull cross. Not a mean bone in his body, except to little fluffy mutts that annoy him, usually. I know they aren't all agressive, but I do know a lot of them are dog agressive. And being that mine is getting older, and a little less tolerant, I'm weary of it possibly being a bad combination because of some of the breed traits. I was mostly asking for experience. If anyone has had an older pitbull or pitmix and tried to introduce a younger pitbull and if it went well, badly, etc etc. Anything specific that was a struggle because of certain temperments or traits these dogs tend to have. That's all. I know I'll most likely be able to have a trial period, but I want to hear peoples experiences (if there are any) incase it's likely to go bad. I would rather not put my dogs, or the rescue, or ourselves through that if there is a 90% chance it won't work. I'm sure he will find a great home if we don't adopt him, and I'd rather not traumatize any of the animals if its a huge risk because of breed traits. As for the kongs, thanks quirky. I stuff mine with more than just cookies here and there, though. I've been trying out pureed veggies mixed with her food and then frozen, or a bit of melted peanut butter mixed with food, and frozen. The kongs are the one toy she hasn't been able to destroy, so they're the one thing I feel comfortable giving to her when we go out, and they keep her busy while she gets the stuff out, and then she naps. Generally I don't put a full meal of kibble in them, maybe about half, and then still feed her, her other full meal later. I'm just curious to know if she's still getting enough nutrition, or maybe she's getting too many calories. It really depends on what's in the kong. I'm trying to avoid peanut butter, as she gains weight easily. But things like pureed carrots, with small bites of carrots and broccoli with some kibble, and stuff. I've found cleaning them isn't so bad. I generally have three stuffed and frozen at a time, for whenever I'm going to be out for an extended period of time. I have a large one for if we'll be gone for a full day, and two mediums for when we'll only be a few hours. So far it's been alright, but we haven't been doing it for too long. Thanks for the help guys....See Moreneed help with very fearful rescue dog
Comments (14)what a terribly sad life she must have led. :( kudos for you for taking her in! one of my rescue dane girls was a very fearful dog when she came to me. for the first couple of weeks, i pretty much ignored her. it took that long before she did something (other than pottying outside) that warranted my praise. she kept her distance from me although unlike your dog, she did want to be in the same room with me. however, any attempt to interact with her would result in her cowering away from me and putting her paws over her eyes as if thinking "if i can't see her, she can't see me!" it will take lots of slow work with your pup. if you find that she absolutely refuses to eat, try adding a little ground beef to whatever you are feeding her. raw or cooked, either way. if you can find any canned tripe, even better! unless she is totally 100% shut down, she won't starve herself. i assume you live alone so this will make it easier. she will associate only YOU with the good things and eventually, she will come 'round. get down on her level as much as possible, sit on the floor whenever you can. if and when she approaches you, don't reach out to pet her. let her get close enough to sniff around. you can talk quietly to her (no eye contact, just whispering), just don't reach for her. she will let you know when she is ready for contact by becoming a little more insistent that you pay attention to her. a lady i know just recently took in a 3 month old pup that was so covered in mange and open sores, she did not have a single bit of fur on her body. she was curled up in a ball at the shelter, very near death. lana took her home and in less than 2 weeks, the transformation has been absolutely miraculous. she is growing fur, has learned to trust her human, seeks her out for attention and has just recently begun to actually play with toys. every time i get an update on her, i almost burst into happy tears! good luck with her. take it slow, let her trust you on her own time. you won't be sorry. my dane girl is now a velcro dog, loves my attention but is also totally confident to venture out and about herself and every person who comes in my house gets greeted by 165# of pure wiggle with a stuffy in her mouth. :)...See Moregetting new rescue dog tomorrow
Comments (22)I was worried he couldn't keep up on my power walk since he's only around 12 or 13 pounds. I walk pretty fast while husband goes slower. Guess what? He walked 2 and 1/2 miles in the 90 degree weather always out front, never stopped , and seemed to like it. Coming up the sidewalk he knew when we got to the picket fence gate that he lived here, stopped dead in his tracks. Friend came visiting with a toy but he is not good with soft things. Finds a way to rip them and take the stuffing out. This was one of those Fat Cat products(cat burglar) and appeared to be well made..He needs to chew so it will mostly hard things. Cracks me up when I come in here and he's asleep on his bed, when I check on him in a minute or two, he is always on the chair I just left looking guilty. I don't care. I'm going to pick my battles. He can't hassle the cats, he can't jump up on people, and he can't be destructive..I hope for the best because he is a sweet appealing little guy who lost his first home. She supposedly had RA and he IS energetic and needs to work it off. There is a 30 day money back period which I hope I won't need..I'll do a picture when I figure out how....See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

ECLECTIC HOMESHouzz Tour: Design Harmony for an Animal Rescue Ranch
Once dark and slapped together, this Malibu home now has balance and connection while keeping its jeans-and-boots comfort
Full Story
PETSSo You're Thinking About Getting a Dog
Prepare yourself for the realities of training, cost and the impact that lovable pooch might have on your house
Full Story
HOME TECHTech to the Rescue: How to Get Stolen Gadgets Back
Catch any crook who dares steal devices from your home with recording and tracking technology that's easy to use
Full Story
PETSHouzz TV: Watch These Rescued Cats Make a House Their Playland
Spirals, catwalks, tunnels and platforms create a superhighway inside this home in Southern California
Full Story
ARCHITECTURESaving Grace: Reconstruction Rescues a Michigan Barn
Working-farm rustic goes stylishly modern, thanks to the loving reinvention efforts of a determined homeowner
Full Story
PETSWhat Chihuahuas Can Teach Us About Interior Design
Who knew these tiny dogs could be such a huge fount of design tips? Houzzers did
Full Story
HEALTHY HOMEWhat You Need to Know About Dust and How to Fight It
Breathe easier with these 10 tips for busting mites, dander and other microscopic undesirables
Full Story
HOUSEKEEPINGWhat's That Smell? What to Do About Stinky Furniture
Learn how to diagnose and treat pet and other furniture odors — and when to call in a pro
Full Story
DECKSA Family-Friendly California Yard Wises Up About Water
Pavers and unthirsty plants replace Kentucky bluegrass in a Menlo Park landscape for a family of 4
Full Story
PETSHow to Help Your Dog Be a Good Neighbor
Good fences certainly help, but be sure to introduce your pup to the neighbors and check in from time to time
Full Story
socks