SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_19779803

Genealogy related rant

User
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

I hired a researcher in Canada to do some sleuthing for me. All she did was parrot back the things I told her and advise me where I could look myself. The reason I hired her was because I'm too far from Prince Edward Island to go there myself. I even had to remind her of the name I wanted researched; not any of his children or spouses. I already had that and had given that same information to her.

One day last week, a person who is also researching this family contacted me through a message board. He lives in PEI, revisited the archives there, and shared everything he had with me. I don't know how much help I was to him other than confirming family lore. After comparing notes, we are both satisfied we have the correct information and that no paper trail exists for pre 1798 in PEI unless we would be lucky enough to find him in a Muster Roll or a history book. So far neither of us has found him in either of those places.

The more I think about paying the researcher for no information at all, the madder I get. Honestly, she did not tell me anything I had not told her first. Can I request a report of some kind? Her web site says that is $10 per page. I've already paid her $70. I want to see a page typed out with her facts listed and cited. And if she cites anything I sent her, what do I do? $70 is not an insignificant amount of money to me. fee schedule

When I emailed the parents' information to her, she replied

Just had a thought -
maybe you could get together with the Clark descendent (do they live in
PEI), and share the findings from the archives. Or maybe you could share
expenses to find out about Ebenezer.

Did you find out about Francis' application - American Revolution
Membership Applications, 1889-1970. Maybe he says where his father was
born??

You are making progress - slow. But there is progress

Yes. I am making progress. Didn't I just tell her I had made contact with another person living in PEI, researching this family, and we knew Ebenezer Ward was the father and Margaret Clark was the mother and the son was born in PEI. I have Frances' military pension folder. What do I need her for? To cheer me on? I have other "cousins" doing that!

Maybe I got spoiled by the researcher in Wisconsin who went everywhere, got copies of probate and guardianship, took photographs of grave markers, and double checked cemetery entries which broke a brick wall for me. By the end of that saga I think I had paid her just over $100.

Do I ask for a refund? Ask for a "free" report? Chalk it up to a learning experience? Warn everyone far and wide to use her at their own risk?

Comments (5)