SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
redtartan

The X Chromosome - genealogy related

redtartan
8 years ago

I think we're going to start needing a separate forum soon. :)

Last night I decided to carve out some time and just buckle down and get my X Chromosome mapped ancestrally. Wow, do you ever see how much of your ancestor DNA gets lost rather quickly when you do it like that. It's amazing that that one pair of Chromosomes has so little diversity when so many go into making you who you are.

Here's a good printable chart, but you can also just do it with scrap paper if you want. Your genealogy program may also have one. I recommend resizing the printable one.

http://www.thegeneticgenealogist.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/1b.png

For those that are unsure of how it works:

23rd Chromosome is your sex chromosome (XX for female, and XY for male). There are still inherited traits and illness on these Chromosomes.

On the female side of things you get one X from Dad, one from Mom.

Dad's X only comes from his mother's side of his family so a daughter does not carry any DNA from the father's Paternal side at all (on the X). That cuts out that whole side of the tree.

Usually the females pass on both their father and mother's contributed X DNA. But for every male contributed X, he only contributes from his mothers side, not the fathers. So that cuts out many generations very quickly.

What I am finding rather amazing is that on my one X, I have quite a bit of Scandinavian and yet it makes up so little of my ancestral make up. One particular family intermarried a lot so even on sides where the male only contributes from the mother, the mother ends up being a distant part of the same family. Well at least I'm thinking it was this family. What makes it even more interesting is that the last one in my line was born in 1860.

The rest of my X's are pretty much British/Irish. It's amazing to me how quickly the "diversity" is potentially lost depending on who came from where.

Comments (16)