SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
rich_possert

I need a lawn "redo". More weeds than grass and more...

Rich Possert
9 years ago

Here's the skinny. We live in Jacksonville, FL. Everybody (including me) has (had) irrigation. Everybody (including me) has (had) St. Augustine grass.

My problems started when I was on deployment last spring. My wife hit (run over) our irrigation backflow and boom, there went our irrigation system. I had wanted to change things around anyways, because our irrigation was hooked up to our city water line instead of our reclaimed water line (so I was paying swage on it in my utility bill). Didn't want that kind of change though! I know I have to get that irrigation backflow fixed and get my lawn some water. In the meantime...

So my entire lawn is weeds. The entity that used to be St. Augustine grass is now a faded, tan-colored, corpse that has been overtaken by a plethora of colorful, interesting weeds that could probably have some sort of documentary about them on National Geographic channel. The usual suspects are present (those pretty dandelions), and some red and green things, along with some interesting things that look like potato plants are there too. It's a jungle out there. I actually took my weed eater (no pun here) out there the other day to "mow the lawn" cause the weed sprouts were getting a little over ankle height which made my crappy lawn look even worse.

I need some serious lawn help here! Should I spray/sprinkle KILL all these nasty weeds? Should I till? I don't think we have the money in our budget to sod our lawn, so we are interested in seeding, but how do I go about it with this monstrosity I have here and now? Ah, if only HGTV did their Lawn Crashers show in Jacksonville. Thanks y'all!

Comments (3)