SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
oddprofessor

This Soil Needs More Than Amending

oddprofessor
5 years ago

I have a 8'X4' patch in my yard that will not grow anything, ever. (OK. A few random weeds.) I put sod on it after a stone patio was built in the yard, directly adjacent to this dead patch. The sod never sent roots into the underlying soil and died. I just peeled it off as easily as I laid it. I raked it and spread bagged topsoil over it to about 3 inches deep. I planted a mix of quick growing annual grass and slower-germinating perennial grass seeds, fertilized, covered with burlap, and had a nice crop of annual grass. The perennial grasses didn't take (although they also grew, but less enthusiastically) and the next year I had no regrowth. I have sown seeds and fertilized (NOT with an herbicide that suppresses germination) this year. Nothing but dirt and a few weeds, although I still hold a little spark of hope; it's been very cold here (Western NY, zone 6). We've dropped below freezing at night a couple of times in the last two weeks. I looked at my county extension webpage, and they will tell me the pH of my soil. For more analysis, they refer to another service that will analyze the nutrients already in the soil and make recommendations, but I don't think that nutrients are the problem. The rest of the yard is good. It's just this one patch. What should I do?

Comments (7)