SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
talley_sue_nyc

I am donating like a madwoman!

talley_sue_nyc
9 years ago

In 2006, we put our home on the market, and to get it ready to show, we threw a bunch of stuff in boxes and sent it to a storage unit. (We call it the "away" bin.)

It costs money, and we keep saying, "we should empty that out." But this year, I've experienced a ding in my income (gave up a part-time job), and said, "Let's make a pact: Every Saturday, we will go and get rid of 3 boxes." We have a place to take them now; the thrift shop affiliated with my son's school.

The first week (last week), we took 7 boxes to the thrift shop. Lots of serving dishes, decor items, etc.

This week, we took two BIG boxes (puzzles, games, a few china pieces) and two sets of shelves.

But we brought HOME 7 boxes. Sounds like a disaster, right?

Nope--we emptied them pretty easily, either tossing stuff, putting some of it back in the "donate" pile, and other stuff putting on shelves (and displacing other things into the "donate" pile).

We have one of those boxes that hasn't been emptied, but I'm working on that one. It has a few things that are my DD's, and I don't want to toss her stuff without hearing from her.

So we're ahead of the game, but we still intend to make it an "every Saturday" excursion.

We're also getting down to the hard part--the stuffed animals; the books; things that have already been culled once, and that aren't really ours.

But one heartening thing is that both times, as we left I was mentally saying, "I know that can go, and I'll be glad to send that to the thrift shop, and that box has surely got things that can go easily." So I leave with a game plan for next time already in my mind.

Comments (13)