SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pooklook2005

Al's gritty mix for fiddle leaf fig (without bark)

pooklook2005
9 years ago

Hi everyone,

I'm a newbie and I'm interested in using Al's gritty mix for my indoor houseplants, mainly ficus lyrata , ficus elastica and succulents. However, I would like to use just turface and crushed granite without any bark because I'm really liking the idea of inorganic mix for indoor use. I have a few questions below I hope you guys can help me out. By the way, I'm in Socal.

1. Are there any advantages in adding bark to the mix instead of just turface and crushed granite?

2. Should I use a-1 granite #5 or #10 ? From what I've read in this forum, both were recommended but I would like to know which would be the best option. I'm planing to use Turface MVP for the mix and I understand that everything should be the same sizes so would the a-1 #5 or #10 be closer in size to Turface MVP?

3. Would it be a good idea to add pumice or perlite to the mix? Would both or either benefit the plants somehow?

4. Should I stick with the 1(turface) : 1(crushed granite) ratio or should I go with 2:1? As I mentioned above, the mix would be for ficus lyrata, ficus elastica and succulents. Should I adjust the ratio for any or all of those plants?

5. Are there anything else that I should consider? I would be grateful if anybody can give me any suggestions or advice.

Thank you in advance. This forum has been really helpful and informative especially for a novice like me.

Comments (6)