SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
banjo_ream

Never seen a fiddle leaf fig with this problem before, help!

Jessica
6 years ago
last modified: 6 years ago

PICTURES POSTED AT THE BOTTOM!!

Hi, first time poster here. I purchased a ficus lyrata from a nursery in California in May. I live in Las Vegas, NV and it's fall (October) here which means temps in the 80s-70s with lows in high 60s-high 50s right now. Dry days but humid nights with more rainstorms.

Background Soil

I started reading this forum and decided to sort of repot into Al's Gritty Mix (is there a way to tag @tapla on this??) as soon as I got it. It was indoors so I wasn't able to use a hose for a full bare root. The original soil was in good condition and it didn't seem to even need a repot (roots weren't crowding) and lots of soil came away easily. I spritzed the roots with filtered water as I went. I shook off as much of the old soil that I could, removed one large encircling root and about 1/5 of mass all around the perimeter before planting in its same container and filling it will Al's Gritty Mix.

Background Light

I had it on a catwalk where it was about 11 feet away from floor to ceiling Eastern windows, 4 feet away from a row of Northern windows, and 12 feet away from a small Western window below the catwalk. Everything is white, so for human eyes, it's a very bright area. I only watered it when dry to touch and thoroughly in my tub until water poured out, but I only needed to water it maybe once a month or longer. I'm assuming there wasn't much air circulation.

Background Problems

I started noticing the soil moving with teeny tiny insects that wouldn't fly, but they were very fast and had a very subtle (maybe silver?) sheen to them. My husband couldn't physically see them, but I had Lasik so my vision is a little better. There were also tiny flying bugs that wouldn't leave it; they would just sort of fly to the other side of the container and walk around until I swatted at them again. So I stopped watering. I let the soil dry out as usual, but then I waited. I waited until the bugs went away and then I waited longer because sometimes they would surface when I gave Salma Hayek (her name) a long drink. I couldn't say for certain how long I waited after that, but then when I watered, the bugs never came back. Hooray! I was good for maybe another month then I started noticing this bleaching of the leaves where they would turn a chalky, pale green in sections of the leaf then all at once before falling off right off the branch and leaving a slight divet (the little stem would still be attached to the dead leaf).

Solution Attempts

I moved Salma Hayek into my kitchen, directly in front of an Eastern window with sheer white curtains (I open all the windows for a nice cross breeze downstairs) where there is also a Northern door and a Southern window. I watered her with a tablespoon of miracle grow plant food fertilizer dissolved in a gallon of filtered water, then followed it up with another gallon of plain water. Almost 1 qt. came out the bottom, so she retained quite a bit. She perked up right away. The next day, 3 faded, crinkled leaves dropped and a few more started getting the spots. 2 days go by, and I check with a wooden dowel near it's base (where the old, retentive soil is). It comes out almost dry and just a little cool. I check again the next day, same thing, the dowel is dry and only slightly cool. I start digging my fingers around in the soil, and about 2.5" the soil is quite moist. I would say too moist.

I am currently airing her outside in the shade at 1:40pm which means the sun has already moved along the southern edge of our house but it's a breezy 78 degrees F in general. Two more leaves have turned into that weird chalk green, and a few more have spots forming. I don't know if I'm under or over watering or if I changed too many things at once. I'm not sure how to water if my dowel method isn't effective. I've never seen leaves look like this before because they don't really turn brown or yellow. They start out showing chalky pale green spots and when they fall off, they seem dry even though the soil is well draining and kept damp. So if anyone has ideas, it would be a great help!! I feel like I've done everything I've read I should and still can't stop the leaf drop/pale splotch spreading :(

PICTURES

Here it is currently being aired out for the day on our patio, already lost a dozen leaves lower down, leaving some blank, thin twigs where they would've become branches:

Her other side where the small lower leaves seem a bit droopy:

Here is a picture of one of the leaves starting to turn. They don't all have those brown spots first, but almost every leaf has some type of paleness, scar, brown spot, or seems to be eaten away but there's no sign of bugs on the plant itself or soil (anymore):

Front of a lost leaf. This one is actually in pretty good shape and still had some green left. Most of them were shriveled up and completely hypo-pigmented:

Back of the lost leaf. I can't find anything on the internet on this because the leaves don't turn yellow or really turn brown at all, just chalky:

A different type of malady than my fading leaves:

The original soil of peat moss and perlite it came in was in good shape, soft and damp. I knocked over half of it off and trimmed up the roots minimally since they weren't crowded. I then re-potted into its original container but with Al's Gritty Mix. Here's what it's currently in:

This is where it used to be kept on our catwalk; you can sort of see the top of it peaking out on the top of the photo. Sorry you can barely see her; it's the only picture I could find to show how much light it used to get:

When I first started noticing the problem of fading leaves. There are two more small windows not shown on either side of the one you can see here:

We keep it in the kitchen on the floor now, to the left of the monstera plant directly in front of that window. All the windows face East and I keep them open since the breeze is pretty warm and sometimes open the door so it gets air circulation from the North, as well. There's a window behind me, too, facing South, but I closed it to make it easier to take a picture:

PLEASE SEND HELP! This plant is my pride and joy, and I can't figure out what she needs. It's going into Winter so I was avoiding a bare root re-pot, because it's not the best time for growth and I'll be pre-occupied with family staying here for 2 weeks over both Thanksgiving and Christmas. If I absolutely need to, I will, but I'm hoping to avoid stressing it further first. THANK YOU!

Comments (17)