SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
dxniel

Grow lights for my Spathiphyllum? I know nothing, please help.

dxniel
9 years ago
last modified: 9 years ago

Hi, I'm new here.

I've never really been interested in gardening or anything of that sort until I got myself a few house plants. I really enjoyed my Spathiphyllum the first two weeks, but then all the flowers started dying off. I read up on how to care for a Spathiphyllun, so I don't give them too much water or too much sunlight. In fact, I think the reason why the flowers started dying off was because it has too little sunlight. I know the plant loves shade, but I think it might be getting too little sun for it to be able to flower. I don't have a lot of sunlight coming into my room, so I want to buy a grow lamp. I wanted to also buy a timer switch so that it will turn on early in the morning instead of having to put it on during the day and have blue/red light glowing in my room (unless there is a way to light up my Spathiphyllum with white light...? If so, please let me know).

I researched a bit online about grow lights, but it has left me a bit confused.

For example, this shop sells a light with 18 LEDs with an output of 590 lumens and a light with 168 LEDs with an output of 180 lumens. Could somebody please help me understand why I might want to pick one over the other? Please help me out if you can.

Here is the 168 LED lamp at 180 lumens: 168 LED 180 Lumens

Here is the 18 LED lamp at 590 lumens: 18 LED 590 Lumens

And a quick second question: The flower stems are attached to the leaf stems. When the flower dies the leaf is often still healthy looking. Should I try to detach the flower stem from the leaf stem and just cut the flower stem? Or should I cut both?

Comments (33)