SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
swc3086

Water softener sizing

swc3086
9 years ago

First I am sure that you have answered this a million different ways but I just want to be sure what I understand from what I read is correct.

I am replacing the main water line to my house and removing all the old galvanized piping (This is due to various leaks and a working pressure of 30psi). While doing this I thought I would have a water softener installed. The plumber I have chosen to work with does not sell water softeners but said if I buy it he would install it at no additional charge. My question is what size unit do I need.

Water Quality information

Water Hardness at my tap 11.8 (I am on city water and the people that tested the water didn't say anything other than the hardness)

Link to my water quality report ( http://www.cudrc.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/2013-Water-Quality-Report.pdf )

Water usage

I have a family of four(a fifth on the way) with three bathrooms and a two story house. Our average daily water usage from my water bill is 150gpd I have a large garden tub and my current flow rate is around 5gpm (My plumber told me this would improve once we addressed the issue with my main line and my piping) I am anticipating a flow rate of 10 to 15 gpm one I have addressed the issues

I have read many of the comments and looked on line and this is what I have come up with.

Daily Grain 1800

Grain Capacity 14400

With 15% reserve 16600 Grain Capacity

With the above numbers I would assume I need a.75 cuft unit but if I am looking for the higher SFR I am thinking that I need a 1.5 cuft unit

Can I get the larger unit and just program the value to lower grains? I don't want to oversize the unit and create a channeling problem. In addition I was going to put on a carbon pre-filter (probably a big blue 20 or similar) to protect the resin from the chlorine in my water which can run as high as 3mg/l is this a good idea or should I scrap it?

Thanks for all your help and let me know if I left anything out

Comments (3)