SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jwith

Water Softener Sizing

jwith
9 years ago

I'm looking to install my own softener and I found a local distributor that sells Clack WS1 control valves. I'm struggling deciding between a 1.5 and 1 cuft resin system using DOW High Capacity resin. I intend to install a 20" big blue sediment filter in front for sediment and ferric iron.

The water is from an artesian well:
Iron (Tot) 1 mg/L
Iron (Ferric/solid): 0.2 mg/L
Iron(Ferrous/solution): 0.8mg/L
Manganese: 0.2mg/L
pH: 7.2
Hardness: 8 gpg (11.6 gpg compensated for iron & manganese)

There are 2 adults currently living in the house, but the house is designed for a family of 4-5. We have 2.5 bathrooms, currently with no jacuzzi tubs. I'm not really sure what our current water consumption is, but I'm assuming the typical 60 gallons/person, or 120 gallons total. I'm not sure what to expect for an SFR, but i am assuming 10 GPM.

I have been reccommended both a 1 or 1.5 cuft system. In regards to our hardness GPG and our current water usage, I think both systems are a little large. I'm only looking at the 1.5 for increased SFR (13 GPM vs 9 GPM). Even the 1cuft system will likely need to regenerate on Day-Override every time. I'm expecting with a 6lbs/cuft dosage, I'll only be utilizing about 50% of the capacity before the DO (7-day) regenerates. Its even worse with a 1.5cuft, that will regenerate after 33% usage.

I want to make sure that we "future proof" the system for at least the next 15-20 years, and reduce our wasted cost. In addition we don't want to limit the SFR especially since we will be remodeling the kitchen and bathroom soon. At nearly $8/40lbs salt, we would waste nearly $60 a year in salt for the 1.5cuft (nearly $1K over the life of the unit) and $30 for the 1cuft.

Thanks for the assistance.

Comments (4)