SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_28017726

Check my Water Softener Sizing/Purchase Conclusions?

User
8 years ago

I've been researching water softeners (and have read a lot of threads here) and could use some help on my sizing conclusions. Also looking for salt-use efficiency and have a couple of questions as well.

First off, my water:

• City water

• pH - 8.0

• TDS - 660ppm

• hardness - 290ppm

• particulates - trace

• sulfates - 230ppm

• iron - none detected

• manganese 0.3ppb

My home:

• 5 people, 3 bathrooms, no high flow fixtures

• Usage - actual unknown so estimating 75gal/day/person

• Supply pressure - 89psi

• Achievable flow rate - 18gpm

• No odor, no color

Conclusions:

I've settled on a Fleck 7000SXT and think 64,000 grain/2.0 cu.ft. is the right size but am not positive especially after seeing the 15% reserve comments and such. The other wildcard is the 75/gal/day/person estimate. If I'm near the limit of the 2.0 cu.ft. system, I'd prefer to just go with the 2.5 cu.ft but haven't been able to determine how close I am.

I'm steering clear of the Vortech resin tank and will go either with a round 18x33 or 18x40 if ending up w/the 2.5 cu.ft. system - w/a Fleck 2310 float. Debating on whether SST60 is worth it.

Main Questions:

1. 2.0 cu.ft. system or 2.5 cu.ft system? (and how close am I between the two if I'm even in the ballpark at all?)
  2. Resin - I've seen a lot of very different posts on Resin. For my city water, and given that I'm looking to save on salt overall, does it make sense to go with SST60 given that I'm looking at +$170 (64k) extra? Or should I just stick with regular 8% crosslink purolite (+$72) or 10% crosslink imported (+$26)? (or something else?)
  3. Anything else I need or am missing? (Res-up feeder? other???)
  4. Online places to buy: ohiopurewater dot com and qualitywatertreatment dot com both appear to have reasonable prices/info - any others anyone would recommend considering?
  5. Programming: Will come back and post another thread later on this... but do the valves measure actual water usage to allow them to be better dialed in later?

thanks in advance for the advice!

-Mike

Comments (12)