SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
wildwillyguitar

Water Softener New Purchase Advice

wildwillyguitar
17 years ago

I've done the research and need advice:

I'm Phoenix, AZ (North Scottsdale). Just bought a new house just under 3000 sq. ft. with 4 beds, 3 full baths. 2 adults and 2 children living in the house. Price quotes have ranged from $1300.00 to $1550.00 for 48K grain, on-demand regeneration systems installed. I did more research and found a company that can offer a comparable system for $895.00 installed. I have a softwater loop and brine line already plumbed in the house. The guy who offered $895.00 has answered the following questions:

The control valve can be a Fleck 5600 or 5600SE (same price). He does not recommend the digital since, "if they break down there expensive to get fixed", plus the design and technology changes.

It is a on-demand, two piece, regeneration system. Salt tank holds up to 325lbs and has a one-piece corrosion resistent valve body 3/4" - 1 1/4 oulet available.

Warrenties:

5yr. on the head

25yr on the resin

25yr on the tanks

1yr labor

1yr on distributor from the manufacture.

There semmes to be an issue in Phoenix that pressure can exceed 80psi at night. This guys tells me that were on city water and he does not think it's an issue. If I need a pressure regulator it's an additional $90.00. Other companies start at $150.00.

I addressed the issue of replacing the control valve and the cost. He agrred it can increase the lifespan of the system but said you should not have to do it for about 15-20 yrs. Which is why he did not recommend digital since they constantly change. His cost to do so is around $250.00. He does offer a regeneration service on the resin beads: n/c on the resin, $175.00 labor to do it...maybe in 20 yrs.

While 4 of us will be in the house we have guest from time to time. He said this system should handle 8-10 people.

I asked him about make and models. He said the head is made by Fleck. The manufactures are BR Industries and International Filter and that there assembled in Arizona. This guy admits to being a contractor with no store front or sales people and therefore can offer lower prices. I asked about doing a water test to determine if the system is right for us and after asking where were located he said he's put in almost 50 systems in that area and that are water is 18 grain hard. One thing that made me weary was asking if the units have been tested by The Underwriters Labratory, The Water Quailty Association and or The National Sanitary Association. He believed these product lines were but could not confirm if they beared their seal...Is this a conceren? I've checked him out on the phoenix BBB as well as The Arizona Contracot License board and he looks legit with no complaints. While I believe you get what you pay for I am on a budget and saving $400 to $600.00 is a concern at this time. I'm moving this Sat. and need to make a decision quickly. If there's any issues I've missed please reply and I'll follow ASAP. Any help appreciated.

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (7)