SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
snowang_gw

Need advice selecting a Water Softener, justalurker and others?

snowang
12 years ago

Hi All!

I'm a homeowner with no plumbing experience (or much plumbing knowlege at all!). We just moved in a new construction that has hard water from the private well. We already have a RO system in the kitchen for drinking and cooking (builder installed because of a high nitrogen level). Plan to have a water softener installed to remove the white scale I see all over the sinks, faucets and granite countertops (they are hard to get rid of!). I am also noticing sediment in the water coming out of the RO system. I find this a little perplexing since I thought RO was supposed to get rid of everything including any sediments. Anyway, we had Culligan out couple weeks ago and the guy did a water test and gave us a quote of $2245 for a HE 10" Water Softener. Thinking that's a little higher than what I would be willing to pay, I researched on buying my own equipment and having a local plumber install it. I've heard some postive things on this forum about OhioPureWater so I started with filling out their evaluation form online and getting a quote. Below is the information I filled in the form:

> People in Home: 5

> Number of Full Bathrooms: 3 (one jacuzzi)

> Hardness Value: 25

> Hardness Unit: gpg

> Iron Value: 0

> Iron Unit: ppm

> pH Value: 7.5

> Flow Rate: 8 (not sure about this)

> Raw Water Color: yes

> Raw Water Odor: no

> Raw Water Clear: no

> Raw Water Is Clear but turns color overnight: no

> Sediment present overnight: yes

> Slimy buildup in tank: yes

> Iron stains on fixtures: no

> Water Line Size: 1"

> Pump Type: Submersible

And their sales emailed me back with these recommendations:

===========================

Based on the information in your evaluation, here are the items I would recommend for your application......

1.) Our 1.5 cu/ft ChemSorb sediment removal filter, with the Automatic Backwashing, Fleck 2510 - 12 Day Timer valve....that will help remove color in your water caused by sediment.

The unit would be set to automatically backwash every 6 days with 5 people in the home, and should be installed in the main water line after the well pressure tank, before the softener unit, and can be located at this link on our website...

http://ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=348

1ea Fleck 2510 Auto Backwash ChemSorb Sediment Filter 1.5

10x54 resin tank

1.5 cubic feet of mixture

10 gpm service flow rate

7 gpm backwash flow rate

Selected options:

Fleck Valve Connection: 1 Inch Stainless Bypass Valve

Tank Color Option: Blue

2.) Our 48,000 grain water softener with the Fleck 2510SXT Metered valve, for whole house filtration of hardness from your water, and can be located at this link on our web site..... http://www.ohiopurewater.com/shop/customer/home.php?cat=181

I would recommend this softener be installed after the well pressure tank, and be set to regenerate every 1300 gallons, which would be an average regeneration of about every 4 - 5 days, with 5 people in the home....

1ea Fleck 2510SXT - Metered On Demand Control Valve Water Softener 48000 Grain Capacity

10x54 resin tank

1.5 cubic feet of resin

12 gpm service flow rate

2.5 gpm backwash flow rate

Floor Space Required is 26x15x62

Selected options:

Fleck Valve Connection: 1 Inch Stainless Bypass Valve

Tank Color Option: Blue

Brine Tank Size: 15x17x36 Rect Brine Tank

Softening Resin (1.5 cuft): High Capacity Resin

========================

My question is: Are the products he recommended the right ones for us? Regarding the sediment filter, I told him we already have a small one (with the yellowish stuff inside) installed by the builder and he said theirs self-wash and will never need a replacement cartridge. It'll cost me an additional $600 installed. Is it worth it and will it get rid of the sediment I'm getting even from the RO system?

I've read from Justalurkers posts that a Noryl bypass is preferred but it seems like there is no 1" Noryl bypass option. They only have 1" Noryl yoke. So I guess I'll have to use the stainless steel 1" they recommended. I've also learned that I should ask for a top basket from the seller and ask my plumber to put in a 3 ball valve bypass using 1/4 turn ball valves (even though I have no idea what that is).

Anything I'm missing here?

Comments (10)