SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mm92672_gw

Water Softener Selection Help

mm92672
11 years ago

I have read a lot of postings and want thank all the regulars who reply with such valuable information. My local water treatment professional suggested two products: Puregen Eco-Twin Whole House System and a Fleck 7000SXT 2.0. I could not find much information on the Puregen and I would appreciate some advice on what to purchase.

I had 4 professionals come out to quote my needs: Kinetico, 2 locals, and Lifesource carbon filter.

Local #2 gave me two quotes. Quote 1 below, then I asked the below question and received Quote 2:

Quote #1: Fleck 7000SXT 2.0, Watts RO Unit (to fridge), extra pipe installed for $2200. (incl. tax).

Quote #2: EcoTwin 7000SXT with 2.0 Cubic feet GAC, 2.5 CF Resin, Watts RO (to fridge). $2700. (incl. tax)

I asked him the following: "I am sure the Fleck 7000SXT is sufficient for my needs however I like (not need) the idea of a twin tank concept for the reason of using 100% of capacity of the tank, regenerates when needed, regenerates with soft water, uses less salt and water. I want a carbon filter to filter out chlorine and to protect the resin. Also my 3 little kids will be big and use more water in the near future. What would the cost of a twin tank system be?"

Answer:

The twin tank efficiency gain is approximately 5%, the cost of wasted salt and water will take approximately 20 years to pay for the additional cost. The Ecotwin tank GAC should last 5 years before the GAC needs changing. ECO-Twin design use the waste water from the softener to regenerate and backwash the GAC. Pros, better removal of Chlorine, THM, VOC, etc. lower operating costs

I cant find any user reviews, recommendations, etc. on the EcoTwin product. Is it any good or would I be better off with a large carbon filter and a single or double tank water softener with industry standard components?

(http://www.puregen.com/products_category.php?rows_page=2&CID=19&lang=en)

About my water:

Water volume usage: Average: 3,740 gallons/ mo. Peak use: 5,236 gallons/mo.

2 adults, 3 kids: The little kids dont use much now but I want to plan for an increase in usage. We get extended visitors a few times per year.

1" pipes at my main. The house is on a raised foundation. I must run 30 ft pipe from main to side of house for install of unit and back for about 60-70 ft copper piping to be used. (Garage at rear of property, hose bib is at front of house)

Bathtub water will dispense at 1 gallon in 14 seconds with hot and cold open. The other fixtures have a lower flow rate.

Calcium: 47.0 mg/L, Copper 0.022 mg/L, Magnesium: 17.83 mg/L, Potassium: 3.7 mg/L

Silica 8.0 mg/L, Sodium 67 mg/L, Zinc 0.006 mg/L, Alkalinity (Total as CaCO3) 100 mg/L

Hardness 190 mg/L, pH 7.6, Total Dissolved Solids: 420 mg/L

Chloride 85.0 mg/L, Fluoride 0.6 mg/L, Sulfate 130.0 mg/L

Not Detected: Aluminum, arsenic, barium, cadmium, Iron, lead, manganese, mercury, nickel, selenium, silver, Nitrate as N, Nitrite as N, Turbidity

Comments (36)