SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
_onthewater

Replacement Water Softener Selection and Installation

10 years ago

Hi,

I have been avidly reading the water softener posts and taking notes. I need to replace an old water softener that finally gave out, the resin tank split after 17 years of use.

Here are the particulars on my water and home and what I am considering for a softener. I would appreciate any suggestions, I don't think I have all the answers I just want to present the information I do have as clearly as possible.

2 people living in the home, 2 full bathrooms, dishwasher and clothes washer, no water hogging appliances. On well water, 4.4 GPM @ 50 psi

Water Quality all values in mg/L

Nitrate Nitrite Chloride 35

Flouride 0.2

Hardness 233

Iron 0.6 (I believe this is clear water iron)

Sulfate 6

Sodium 12

Based on this information and what I have read about selecting a softener I am considering a 24,000 grain capacity softener with 0.75 cu ft of Purolite SST60 Resin and gravel underbed in a Standard tank. To top it off I'm thinking of a Fleck ProFlow SXT control valve with a top basket and noryl bypass, with some extra bypass clips. I would also be sure the brine tank has a salt grid and 2310 Safety Float.

I chose the 5000 ProFlow SXT because it sounds like it offers plenty of customization and could be very adaptable.

Please let me know if this sounds reasonable, I look forward to your suggestions and value your experience.

Thanks!

Comments (12)