SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kspickler

Culligan water softener- repair or replace?

kspickler
12 years ago

We have a Culligan water softener on our house that has recently started acting up. The water pressure in the house has dropped significantly over the last few months, but bypassing the softener restores the water pressure. As far as I can tell, this would indicate the resin has gone bad.

I had a Culligan tech here the other day, and he concurred, saying the resin usually needs to be replaced every 7 or so years (the unit is about 8 years old). Checking the manual for the unit, the resin should be covered by the lifetime warranty. However, the tech claims its not covered because 1) we don't pay Culligan to maintain the system every 2 years, and 2) the water supply in our city is treated with chlorine. Instead, they want me to pay $300+ to replace the resin, and another $150 for a service call (I already gave them $150 just to tell me this).

So, should I give Culligan that $450+ for the repair, or should I just replace the unit with something from Lowes or Home Depot? The cost of a GE or Whirlpool unit isn't much more than the repair (and it's new), so I wonder if this unit is worth repairing. Or, should I fight Culligan about this warranty issue?

Much thanks.

Ken

Comments (16)