SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
raymo2k

Selecting a water softener (and this time, I'm gonna do it)

Weston
7 years ago
last modified: 7 years ago

I've been researching this on and off for years and finally decided it's time for a water softener. We live in a semi-rural area with private wells and septic systems. Our water hardness is in the 21-24 gpg range but that's the only evident problem. No odors, taste, stains (except calcium deposits) or discoloration. I've asked my neighbors what they use and found no one with a softener. Even my neighbor who's a plumber and has installed softeners that his customers have bought, has no water softener. Friends who do have softeners all have the likes of Kenmore or Water Boss and they claim to be satisfied. My wife is liking that idea. Maybe she's right. But I think we can be more efficient with a component system.

There are just the two of us now although we do occasionally have overnight guests. The house has 4 bedrooms and 3 full baths. We've comfortably had 5 adults living here in the past.

This is from my recent water test:

And these are my measured flow rates:

From the well to the pressure tank in the basement, we have 1" CPVC. Fron there on, it's 3/4" copper except for most sinks that have 1/2" copper. The gauge on our pressure tank shows 40 psi.

I'm a little concerned about the total alkalinity and pH values.

2 people x 75 gallons x 24 grains x 7 days = 25,200 grains of hardness to remove per week (a 30K grain system)

I'm most confused by the discussion of efficiency, though. As I understand it, I can set the valve to use a smaller dose of salt and regen more often. Does that mean a smaller volume of brine? The brine is salt and water in a saturated solution, right? So I don't see how you can limit the amount of salt used unless you're also limiting the water. How do you calculate that?

I can see why people head over to the big box store and buy a 30K system and be done. How do I use the information I have to determine what I should shop for?

Comments (22)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH