SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jlumbruno

Assistance with Water Softener Selection Please

Jerry Loller
8 years ago

Hi,

I have a house on well water. I have issues with both hardness and iron.

I had some lab testing done:

Aresenic <0.001 mg/l

Uranium <1 ug/l

Iron 2.33 mg/l

PH 7.20

Alkalinity 48 mg/l

Radon 250 pCi/l

In house testing provided these numbers:

Hardness 6 grains

TDS 160

Ferrous .1

Total Fe 3-4

Mn T02

Chloride 30

There are two adults here with average to low water usage daily. My water typically has a slight orange hue. If I let it sit I end up with an orange powder type of substance at the bottom and the water looks clear. About once or twice a month I get a high influx of orange where you can't see through a glass. The tests above were not taken during one of these bad times. I have no odors from cold or hot water. My well pump provides 8 GpM.

I've received quotes from Kinetico and Water Right distributors as well as an online retailer.

A Kinetico PowerLine would be $2690 installed. They offer a full money back guarantee if I'm not satisfied in any way.

A Water Right Sanitizer Plus will be $2100 installed. They say their system has the added benefit of adjusting my PH which the others won't do.

The internet retailer offered a Fleck 2510SXT Valve with 24k grain capacity and fine mesh resin for $700. I have a plumber buddy to help with install. If for some reason it doesn't take out all of the iron they recommended a Fleck 5600 valve with 1.5 cubic foot tank with Birm be placed before the softener for $500.

Based on this info does anyone see any problem with going with the Fleck? Pretty significant savings but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything. The retailer appears to be happy to assist with the setup once it's plumbed.

Thanks in advance for any info!

Comments (3)