SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soilent_green

Sincere Question - Why Participate?

soilent_green
9 years ago

If I had found this site from doing a web search because I wanted to find a garden forum in which to participate, there is no way I would join houzz and get involved here. I am not saying this because I am angry at the change-over (steady, folks, these are just web forums after all), not because I hate houzz or think it is a bad company (I had never even heard of it before two days ago), but because it has nothing of interest to me.

I am not houzz's target market. I am never going to purchase a $1000 chandelier or spend $100 on a freaking watering can. I am not seeking to hook up with an overpriced contractor to do a high priced remodel on my poorly constructed, black mold-ridden McMansion in decaying suburbia. I am not a conspicuous consumer. I am not swayed by overpriced doodads, gewgaws, or shiny baubles. Such things mean nothing to me. I simply have no use for what this website is promoting. To top it off, there is way too much of a Martha Stewart feel to this site for my comfort level, which really makes me feel that I do not belong here.

Putting that discussion aside, my honest questions to houzz are thus: Why should I contribute anything that will add value to this site just because my membership was transferred like so much chattel, when I would never consider joining a site such as this of my own volition had I not been a member of GardenWeb? I mean, am I expected to stay and contribute simply because I was once a member of GardenWeb? You seek loyalty from me when you have in no way earned it? What is my incentive to continue participating here?

Here is your chance, convince me and all the other folks who feel the same way. Believe it or not we do have other options. In fact many of us have already left. I am one of the few remaining holdouts in my group of GardenWeb friends and contacts who have moved on, and they are wondering why I am bothering to stick around. I am still here simply because I prefer to keep all my options open.

So as it stands I have no intentions of participating or sharing my knowledge, but I will lurk around on occasion. I will offer houzz the benefit of my clicks, that is all for now. That is what you really want anyway, right? Let us be honest here, this is all about generating revenue streams, you really do not give a rip about my landrace bean project or my secrets to growing wonderful garlic, do you? C'mon, we may be simple folk but we are not stupid.

Regards,

-Tom

Comments (88)