SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
plllog

What does "pizza" mean to you?

plllog
9 years ago

I've been thinking about this for awhile and thought I should ask y'all, assuming you didn't take one look and just leave. :) Okay, but then you're not reading this anyway, so for those who are still here, how do you define "pizza"?

When Wolfgang Puck was at the height of his popularity, he came out with a line of frozen pizzas. The government took issue with one of the entries because by law a pizza had to have tomato. No white pizza allowed. They compromised by letting him put tomato slices on rather than sauce. There was a huge uproar, however, because the American public couldn't understand how a government agency could think it knew better than the top chef in the country what makes it pizza.

For me, "pizza" is a dough crust that's baked with the toppings on it. I would say yeast dough with a big risen edge and lots of nice holes throughout (with variations on the same theme for thin or pan style), but I'm willing to allow for some gluten free imitations still being worthy of the word "pizza". Although there are variations, my cognitive stereotype of a pizza also has sauce and cheese, most likely tomato sauce of some kind and Italian pungent and melting cheeses. Plus toppings.

I've seen the "French bread" pizzas that Stouffer's advertise. Pizza toppings on a roll. That's not pizza to me any more than toasting salsa and Mexican cheese on a piece of bread makes it a quesadilla (I often do that, or tomato sauce and Italian (or Swiss) cheese). To me, those are cheese toast. It's the bread that makes the difference. Though the Stouffer's is pizza flavored, I suppose. OTOH, some people call an English muffin zapped with sauce and cheese a "pizza". (Not me--I have no objections, but I wouldn't say that.)

BTW, I've had pizza in Naples (the birthplace) as well as elsewhere in Italy, and in Greece (whose outpost Naples was), and though their local pizzas are different from most American versions, they still fit my definition.

Elsewhere in the world, and here in poor cafeterias and ballparks, there is something called pizza which has a crust that's more like white bread than pizza, and no nicely risen edge. Pretty much the English muffin of the commercial world. It says "pizza" on the sign, but what's on top is as bad as the bread, and I don't feel it's worth the word. Dating back to long before I ever contemplated the definition of pizza, I had trouble calling these that without the vocal intonation equivalent of air quotes. Not on a definitional level, per se, but from rank inferiority. Now I'll toss them out entirely, and say that no matter what the maker thinks, in my lexicon they're not pizza!

How do you define "pizza"?

Comments (19)