Just testing. (Smoky Mountains)
11 years ago
Featured Answer
Sort by:Oldest
Comments (14)
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Discussions
Wildflower or weed? in Smoky Mountains
Comments (4)Don't be so dependant on whether others consider it a weed or not. If you like it, keep it. If you think about it, even "weeds" are wildflowers, just not ones that you particularly like....See MoreSmokies Salamanders
Comments (4)Dave-If you are talking about Gum Swamp, we went there, but it was mostly dried up and the few logs that I flipped produced nothing. I'm sure there were better areas in Cades Cove, but we spent so much time in traffic we didn't have time to check them out. Dan-The one I called a pigmy was very small (only about an 1.5in) and I thought Ocoees had a straight line down their backs not wavy like this one. I found a couple of pigmys that were obviously pigmys (typical yellow chevrons) but then I found some small ones like this that just had a wavy red or yellow line down the back. I knew the one below the Jordan's was some type of dusky, because of the line from its eye to jaw. I guess I just didn't know that imitators got that big. Thanks for the ID. Can anybody tell me what the first 5 dusky pics are? I imagine they are probably a mix of Ocoees, imitators, and Santeetlahs (because of the high elevation)....See MoreFall in the Smoky Mountains Advice, Please
Comments (20)It seems you are looking for a place where you can cook some meals if you like, but be close to places of interest during the day. I highly recommend the Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge area. How many adults/children will be with you? There are some places that have several cabins close together. Most of them have grills and hot tubs on the porches. It's my favorite vacation destination. It's so relaxing. I've been there with DH and his brother's family and also a couple of my sisters and used to "run away" for a week together. So much fun. One thing to remember is that almost every realtor in that area specializes in cabin rentals and that's the route we've always taken--after the first time when we got stuck in the most remote, windiest road cabin in the state of NC :-) You are in for such a treat if you've not been there before. Pigeon Forge has Dollywood, several really nice outlet malls, water parks, etc. Gatlinburg has the scary ski lift cars that take you across the valley to another mountain. (I wouldn't have done it, but the guys feed me a couple of beers at the ice rink just before.) In the pictures I look pretty darned happy :-) Lots more shopping in Gatlinburg, too. Every time we've been to Cades Cove we've seen deer and bears. There is a sweet really old church and cemetary on the 11 mile ride around it. And other points of interest where you can park and look around inside. The old cemetary was really interesting to me. Oh, and if you see a lot of cars pulled over onto the side of the road, that usually means they're watching bears. So cool!! Gosh, now you have me aching to go NC!!...See MoreOnly one new one today: Smoky Mt. Autumn
Comments (11)I grew it for years. The shifting colors were always beautiful, and that smokey layer was so unusual. It was one of the last to bloom here; being a bud builder it just kept hanging in there. Learned after a few years not to cut the scapes down too soon. Mine finally bit the dust over winter one year (in a pot outside), and just no room to add it again. I would if I could..........Maryl...See More- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years agolast modified: 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
- 11 years ago
Related Stories

ROOM OF THE DAYRoom of the Day: A Living Room Bows to the Great Smoky Mountains
Looking to capitalize on views of mountains and a lake, this family creates a clean-looking space for relaxation and reflection
Full Story
ARCHITECTURETime-Tested, Low-Tech Ways to Cool a Home
People have been beating the heat around the world for centuries without plugging anything in. Could these ideas work for your home today?
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener's September Checklist
Sharpen your spade and grab your gloves — warm days and cool nights in the garden mean it's planting time
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESRocky Mountain Gardener: What to Do in June
Join the edible-garden club, deadhead spring-blooming plants around the landscape and make sure to fit in an inspiring garden tour
Full Story
HOUZZ TOURSHouzz Tour: Family Builds Off the Grid Near the Cascade Mountains
Homeowners carefully construct a weekend home on 20 acres in remote northeast Washington
Full Story
COLOR12 Tried-and-True Paint Colors for Your Walls
Discover one pro designer's time-tested favorite paint colors for kitchens, baths, bedrooms and more
Full Story
ARCHITECTUREThink Like an Architect: How to Pass a Design Review
Up the chances a review board will approve your design with these time-tested strategies from an architect
Full Story
WINTER GARDENINGPruning Secrets for Exquisite Roses
Encourage gorgeous blooms year after year with this time-tested advice on how to prune your rosebush in winter for health and shape
Full Story
EXTERIORSGreat Design Element Our Grandparents Knew All About: Awnings
This time-tested feature for shading and cooling is enjoying a resurgence
Full Story
GARDENING GUIDESThe Simple Secret to Gardening Success
Learn the kinds of soil and a DIY type test to make sure you’re putting the right plant in the right place
Full Story



Chi