SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
turiroc

Damn if they do, damn if they don't!

turiroc
9 years ago

As I write this, I have no idea what username appears since it keeps changing between my hubby's and my account. Well, I'm RightDi and pretty much just finished building my new home with the invaluable "advice" of the gardenweb forums. Yes, I would go to Houzz to see the pretty pictures, or take a suggestion from gardenweb, and then search it in houzz so I could visualize it.

Is this the same as Gardenweb? No. Is it horrific and preventing us from doing the exact same thing we used to do? No. Could things be tweaked to provide the warm, community feeling? Yes. Should they have rolled out to a selected few first as a beta for feedback? Yes.

I've seen some changes already since yesterday.

But, my opinion, "some" people that are comparing about new site were the same ones complaining about the pop up ads and the archaic website. Well, nothing in life is free. These forums may not cost us anything, but it sure cost the people that ran GW. Now, we no longer of pop up ads because Houzz has different revenue streams (and so do the old GW site owners).

It doesn't matter what font is used, where a tab is located, etc...what makes gardenweb so special is the community of members that were willing to share their knowledge, not because they were professionals, but because they were regular folks like me with shared experiences. We became professionals together as we learned from each other and loved when real professionals piped in with their perspective.

So, what I'm saying is, please don't go! Don't let the the look, feel, or ease of the new website change who you were at the core. Yourselves!

Mayflowers & romy with their priceless opinions and tastes in kitchen finishes...Treb(something something) with his professional advice about stones and installation. Those are just a few of the people, whose usernames I'm sure I butchered, that made this forum a success.

If we all stay, the magic stays. However, if the special few leave, it wouldn't matter how the site looks, it would be worthless.

So, again, please don't go!

RightDi

Comments (7)