SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Smoked Brisket

Growing up Jewish, I was taught the proper technique for boiling a brisket in a large stew pot with a pile of vegetables. My first experience with a smoked brisket came in 2001 at my first barbecue competition where it had to be smoked in under a day.

Well, let's just say I wasn't last place in that category, but pretty close to the bottom.

Since then, I've perfected my technique. Although I no longer compete, I cook about a dozen large packer-cut briskets a year. Of course, this process requires a smoker to get the best flavor, but you could do this in your oven.

Boca Boys Brisket Rub - also good for beef ribs

2 tablespoons chili powder
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 tablespoons paprika
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 tablespoon salt
1 tablespoon dried oregano

Rule 1 - don't trim ANYTHING off the brisket. All that fat will render down and tenderize the meat. It will also form the au jus that you'll pour over the sliced meat before serving.

The day before you plan to cook the brisket, completely cover the meat with the rub. Then, wrap it in either foil or Saran wrap and leave it the refrigerator overnight.

Cook it the next day in a smoker, holding the temperature between 225 and 275 degrees. I use large chunks of hickory to give it the smoky flavor. Cook it the ENTIRE TIME in an aluminum throwaway pan - fat side up, sitting in the juices. It's done when the internal temperature reaches 195 degrees in the thickest part of the meat.

Take it out of the cooker and wrap it in foil then in a large towel and put it in a cooler to sit for at least a couple of hours. Save all the juices! I've held a brisket for 8 hours and still had it come out of the cooler box too hot to handle without gloves.

Slice it into a deep serving dish and pour the au jus over it. Full joy!

Comments (24)