SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
verdiguy

Nelsons Florida Roses Tamora and Grand Dame

VerdiGuy
9 years ago

On a chilly 49 degree Saturday morning yesterday, I got up early and took a trip out to O.F. Nelson & Sons Florida Roses in Apopka, a short 15 min. drive from my home. They are a wholesale nursery which sells to the public on Saturdays from 9a.m. to 2:00p.m. It was a trip worthwhile indeed. I got there early and was greeted (Imagine that!) and given a tour of the place. For rose lovers, such a vast assemblage is pure heaven.

I went to get a Pope John Paul II and wouldn't you know they were sold out of the ready ones, but I succeeded in convincing the delightful gentleman, who was my host, that the recently grafted and budded ones he insisted would not be ready until Mother's Day, could be managed by so an experienced rose grower as myself! LOL If I managed to grow the two "bands" -or in reality two twigs with five leaves between them- of Souvenir de la Malmaison, I ordered last March in to the magnificent specimens they are now, surely I can grow a recently grafted hybrid tea, which already has five small flower buds, plenty of shinny and healthy foliage, on to maturity.

My guide snipped two blooms for me to sample as we walked and talked around the place: Me with my mouth literally on the floor! The blooms are Grande Dame (which I was not familiar with) and Tamora, of which I'd heard . When I stated to that "Tamora was a David Austin Rose," we seem to bond; he with is delightful accent, ( which I'm guessing is Haitian French, based on his authentic and musical pronunciation of Grand Dame) charming smile and warm demeanor. I regret I do not remember his name as I'm terrible with names. The two blooms were placed in a cup of unfinished Ginger Ale (bad me!) and I gathered my Giovanni Paulo Secondo, went to check out and had a nice talk with the young office lady. She was eager to apologize for having briefly left me to attend to an elderly couple, whom she informed me of as being Mr. Nelson and his wife, the original founder of the business sixty years ago!

At home I placed the two huge blooms given me in a vase of water and the Ginger Ale and sat them on my dresser. In the middle of the night I had to get up and move the vase into the dining room, as the fragrance of the two blooms literally poisoned my bedroom with perfume. Tamora, with her Myrrh scent (which I do not like) and Grand Dame with her magnificent old garden Damask perfume are simply astounding in the power of their fragrance. The blooms are huge, with Tamora's being nearly five inches across and Grand Dame's being over six inches across! They make a delightful paring and I've uploaded the photos taken with my Note, as I do not own a camera.

I cannot think of a finer retail experience, ever! The Nelson nursery is to be commended for old-fashioned customer service of the first rank. The place is an astounding resource for rose growers in our area and even for those growers out of our area. I'd drive more than the eleven miles driven Saturday to see such a product and receive such first-rate service. Area gardeners on this forum, take note!

Jack

Comments (16)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH