SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
vdhant

Greenhouse Design Feedback

vdhant
9 years ago

Hey guys

I'm working on a design for my Greenhouse which also incorporates wood and tool storage and would like some feedback

From the design you can see that I have 6 bays in total. Each bay is 6' x 8'. The bay on the far right will have doors and is designed for tool storage, the next 3 coming down are for seasoning and storing wood and the last two are connected (there is no wall between the bays) and designed to be a green house.

The roof of the wood and tool storage bays is going to be corrugated iron and the walls made of 1"x6" panels (the tool shed will have a back but not the wood storage). The green house will have roof of corrugated transparent plastic and walls of the same material.

The roof fascia is made of 2"x6", with the trusses being 2"x4". The walls of the greenhouse is going to be secured to 2"x2" with cross supports (not yet shown). South is the left most end of the structure and north is the right most. This means the front we are looking at is East and the back is West.

Besides general feedback on the above, the following are some specific questions I have:
- Can the greenshouse have a floor, raised 6" off the ground, which has 1/4" gaps. My gut says that this would let too much cool air in but, in my case I would prefer this as the site is on a slop (not represented in the sketch). Or is it best to be directly on the ground?
- I mentioned that I'm looking at using corrugated plastic for the roof and walls of the structure. Am I best to use see through poloytunnel type plastic with wiggle wire holders for the walls
- Is the roof design ok for a greenhouse. Most designs aren't like this (single pitch) but due to the rest of the structure I can't really avoid this.
- Am I best to build venting into the structure (http://www.custommade.com/blog/content/uploads/2014/11/greenhouse-001.jpg) or am I ok with this structure.

Other notes, the main supports are 4"x4", the front is 7' and the back is 6'. As mentioned, the site is on a gentle slope which I haven't yet represented in this - haven't yet fully worked out how to deal with it. The square footage of each bay is 48, which means the greenshouse is about 96.

Thanks for all your help

Comments (2)