SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
mseifert_gw

Greenhouse Design - Review Plans

mseifert
10 years ago

I could use help with the following gothic greenhouse design. As I am a complete novice with greenhouses, I would really appreciate feedback. Its purpose is to extend my very short growing season - but I will not use it in the winter. We are in the mountains of Idaho with heavy snowfall - using public data (and the design of 12:12 pitch) gives us a roof load of 52 psf. There is no electricity, so all cooling will be passive.

The greenhouse will be 15' wide and 28' long and 11' high. I am planning to use 1" rigid conduit (1.315 OD) with bows spaced every 4 feet, a 12:12 pitch, and cross bracing. There will be 3 conduit perlins (one ridge and one on either side) as well as 2x3 wooden perlins spaced every 2 feet to attach the polycarbonate to. I will be using 8mm twin wall polycarbonate sheeting for the roof/sides and end walls (which will be 2x4 framed). The bows will be connected to ground stakes (larger conduit) driven two feet into the ground and also strapped to the bed frames (for added weight)

For ventilation, on each end wall, I plan on having two massive opening doors (~4' x ~8') plus a triangular window above each door that goes up to the ridge. I believe I can design a 6" wide ridge vent which runs the 28' length of the gh between where the polycarbonate roof sheets end at the ridge.

First - I would love feedback as to whether this design is likely to support the snow load, If necessary, I will erect two rows of 4x4 posts with 2x8 rafters running the length of the greenhouse to lend support to the frame, but I hope it is not necessary. One inch rigid conduit seems more convenient to work with (bending, fittings, cost, 10 foot lengths) than chain link fencing posts. Going bigger than 1" pipe adds significant cost which I would like to avoid if necessary as well. Six feet (or more) of snow can accumulate on the ground - but I don't have a reference point of how much snow can accumulate on a 12:12 pitched roof.

Second - I am concerned about ventilation. Because the frame is conduit, framing roof vents / windows would complicate the design significantly. I've read in another post that "as a general rule for passive ventilation, 20% of the floor area should be roof vent-opened, and 10% of the floor area should be bottom/side vents." My bottom / side vents are sufficient. However, my ridge vent would would only provide roughly 3%. Will having huge doors and windows on both end walls in conjunction with the side vents provide sufficient ventilation? Is the 6" ridge vent necessary and is the trouble to execute it worth the benefit as I will have to figure out a way to plug the vent (foam insulation?) to keep heat in and unplug the vent to let heat out. The ridge being 12' off the ground, this adds a design challenge if I am doing this regularly.

Lastly, have I missed anything obvious?

Thank you in advance for any insight you can provide.

This post was edited by mseifert on Mon, Mar 3, 14 at 15:26

Comments (9)