SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
jessib_

Kitchen Plan from Scratch- Help!

jessib_
9 years ago

Hi!

I'm new to the forums and hope that you guys can help me figure out whether the kitchen layout we're planning for is functional or not!

Right now it's just my husband and I, though we do plan to have children in the semi-near future. We're both in our mid-twenties and we just bought an older bungalow that we are adding a master suite/laundry room/pantry addition to, as well as completely remodeling the main living space. We are eliminating all of the walls in the main living space and going for a completely open concept.

I have two problems, and am open to suggestions on both! The first is that I'm not sure the kitchen layout is as functional as it could be. I think we need to keep all of the exterior doors in the space, and we need to leave room on the right side of the kitchen for a dining space, as this will be the only dining space in the house. I also definitely want a big island... but other than that, I'm just not sure if it will flow. I really wanted to eliminate the exterior door on the left side of the kitchen, but that leaves us with no easy access to that side of the house and the garbage cans, so I think I need to give up my dreams of the L shape kitchen with a corner over there and embrace what I've got now... If you have suggestions, please give them!

The second is not really kitchen related, but thought I'd throw it out anyway. There's a fireplace directly to the right of the front door. It's very awkward, and doesn't really belong. In the future we plan to move the front door and add a larger porch, which would make the front door centered to the front room and alleviate some of the awkwardness in the entry. Unfortunately, that's not in the budget right now, so tell me- how would you set up the front room? We need a place for a couch, several chairs and the television, and I'd like it to flow nicely with the kitchen and dining space.

Help!! I'm feeling very overwhelmed with all of the decisions to come!

Comments (14)