SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
hzdeleted_20093016

A "Feel Good Story"

User
9 years ago

Thought you might enjoy this true story.

TOMMY
A long life gives us lots of memories, Some are disappointments, some are joys, some are sorrows or things we regret.

One memory I have is of Tommy. I had heard of him before I saw him. The principal of the school where I had agreed to teach fourth grade had warned me: "Don't give him any new books; he will only ruin them. He is twelve years old, his sister is also in your class, and we are letting him absorb what he can and passing him through the grades."

My class was very large, quite a challenge for me as I had not taught in many years. I looked over the young faces on that September day and wondered which one was Tommy. As I called the roll I noticed that there was only one Tommy in the room. When I read the name a handsome, tall boy with sad brown eyes slouched out of his seat and stood with his head down and his eyes averted, then sat down quickly, lowering his head over his desk.

Well, I wondered, is he going to be a behavior problem or why has he gained such a reputation? I didn't have the heart to give him old, worn books so his were just as good as anyone else's. Judging by his expression I felt that he was defeated by school and came only because he had to.

It took a few days to find out where he belonged in that class. The other students seemed to accept him; he wasn't a behavior problem. So, I wondered, just what can I do for this boy?

As the principal had said, his first papers were so badly scrawled I could barely read them. His sister, Betty, did well in her work.

By fourth grade most children are pretty good readers and enjoy their first taste of Geography and History. They are accustomed to reading aloud . I chose to have them do some oral reading so that I could gauge just where each of them stood in reading ability. Most were pretty good readers but Tommy was abysmal. He hung his head and slurred his words in such a way that it was hard to determine if he could or couldn't read.

I did not sense any antagonism toward the boy, just an attitude of "putting up with Tommy." It seemed such a shame to just pass him along that I determined to see if I could at least get him to stand straight and pronounce his words. In the meantime I had learned that Tommy was the oldest of a large family, that the father was out of work, and that they were receiving some sort of help with food and clothing.

It appeared to me that his problem was more an inferiority complex and a certain amount of shame over his family's situation than a lack of ability. I spoke with him about his handwriting and complimented him when it improved. Gradually I got the whole class involved in helping him. Slowly, slowly, his reading began to improve. When at last he could read a whole page without mistakes and with some expression I was genuinely pleased. One day when he had done an especially good job, the whole class applauded! That day I saw his posture straighten and his eyes change from a "hangdog" look to one of confidence.

As the year went on he did better and better. I won't say that he became a wonderful student but he did well enough. Most of all he had begun to think better of himself and to realize that his classmates were his friends.

It gave me a great deal of satisfaction to take several of his neatly written papers to the Principal's office to show her what he had accomplished. I also mentioned that he had taken excellent care of his textbooks. To put it mildly, she was shocked! And to put it mildly, I was happy.

Tommy went on to finish grade school. I later heard that he had finished High School at age 20 with a track scholarship to college.

He now owns his own profitable business. I have never seen him since he finished fourth grade but I always feel a sort of happy glow when I think of Tommy, the boy who was just to be passed along.

Comments (15)