SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nikkiode

Microwave Installation - Loose wires in drywall

Nikkiode
9 years ago

In my home I had an older oven which had an over the range microwave attached to the oven. When it broke I purchased a new stove and separate over the range microwave. Upon pulling the old oven out I found what looked like a ripped whole in my drywall with wires hanging out. The white wire says 600 v with ground .(See picture) My first assumption was that these were wires for an old outlet and that housed a separate microwave that was improperly removed. There is no designated outlet or box for a microwave in the cabinet above or anywhere accessible to the cord. As I was looking into having my microwave professionally installed to avoid the hassle I found disclaimers that said things such as "Will not perform hardwire installations." & "Will only install microwaves with designated outlets" Which makes me wonder if these wires are meant to hook straight into the microwave. Which at this point is above my comfort level. I don't want to burn down the house. I have an outlet to the left and below the next set of cabinets and was considering drilling a few holes through the side and bottoms of said cabinet to run the cord, but the cord would not be hidden as it comes out of the bottom and would require an extension cord. This would be the last solution. What should I do? I would like my microwave installed above the oven with the cord hidden. I'm not sure if I need to have an electrician come in and someone separate install the microwave? Are these wires dangerous as is? Any explanation of what I need to be aware of here would be appreciated before I start spending money on the wrong people.

Comments (10)