SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
elphaba_gw

outlets behind cabinets - when should plug get wired?

elphaba_gw
10 years ago

Bottom line question for those who have outlets behind their cabinets, is the back of the cabinet laid against the outlet cover? or against the sides of the plug and the outlet cover added inside the cabinet? Hope this question makes sense. Not too late for me to change my process here if I should.

My first reponse has been that they should be installed so that outlet cover doesn't add to distance between back of cabinet and wall. But now I'm thinking maybe plugs should be installed so wiring is safely connected and covers should go after cabinets installed?

[No kids in the household or animals in the household else, I think I would as a minimum cover the outlet boxes even if only with a "blank".]

Background; Ikea cabinets have been ordered and delivered to my home. They are scheduled to be installed the first week of December. I thought I was ready once I contacted the IKEA installer about the outlets (they are not electricians, only nail cabinets to the wall). He has not made an onsite visit (yet?) -- He agreed that they would cut holes in the back of the cabinets (for a small fee) so cabinets would not "cover up" the outlets. But now, I realize that even though the outlet boxes behind my cabinets have been put in and wired to my breaker box, with drywall installed, the finish wiring that ties the wiring inside the box to the "plug" (not sure if that is right name) has not been done yet.

I thought this would be done with contractor working inside the cabinets (cabinets are large and tall except for one) after cabinet installation. That way I would have one final visit from electrician who could finish lighting along with finishing the "plugs". So complicated. Thanks to anyone who waded into this long post to this point.

Am I wrong? I'm being my own GC so please help me avoid an error here if I'm getting ready to make one. I've included pictures below

1. one example of an outlet box that will be covered by one of the pantry cabinets (there are three).

2. Followed by the wall with all the outlets as it looks today, there are a bunch - may be overkill but I added because I have lots of rechargeable gadgets, a microwave and possibly a dehydrator, maybe toaster .. wanted to cover a lot of bases - better now than not to have enough later . Large bottom-most hole is for an access panel for water turnoff connections to adjacent bathroom.

3. And final picture is of the tall cabinets that will be covering the outlets on this wall.

Appreciate any and all responses.

example: one of the OUTLET BOXES surrounded by drywall

Empty wall before pantry cabinets installed
showing numerous outlet boxes where plugs will need to be installed at some point

Wall as depicted in Ikea design software - 3 tall pantry cabinets - including one broom closet

Comments (4)