SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnative

Housetraining Small dogs vs. large dogs

woodnative
9 years ago

Growing up I had a spaniel mix and a Shepherd mix that both lived healthy lives into their teens. The Shepherd mix we got when I was in my teens and I enjoyed raising her from an 8-week old pup (with my family) and she was a great dog that trained easily. Now I am "midlife" he he. We have a wonderful cat that is almost 14 and as healthy as can be. My wife is not a big cat person and after the cat passes we may get a dog. She would want a small, non-shedding type "toy" dog (or mix). That is fine but I have concerns about housetraining.....I hear that small dogs are or can be more difficult to housebreak. I understand the methods, crate training and not giving free run. I understand them having small bladders and having to go out more often. However, to those of you who have had both small and large dogs can these little dogs be housetraines as easily (or at least fully and effectively if not as easily). It seems like really small breeds (Chihuauas, Yorkies etc. seem to have more of a "reputation". I like the looks of "Shichon" type mixes or Shipoo type mixes (not necessarily a "designer dog"....but a mix of those type breeds. Seems like poodles may be more easily housetrained than bichons....and Shih-tzus have a bad rap for housetraining although they seem to be great dogs. Anyway these may be even several years before we get a dog depending but wanted to know people's opinions of small vs. big(or medium) dogs.

Comments (9)