SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
magdalenalee_gw

Alcoholic Brother, Car Insurance - What Do I Do?!

MagdalenaLee
9 years ago

I'm kind of freaking out and need some advise ASAP.

My brother is an alcoholic, sober for 10 months. He gained his sobriety by moving out of state to live with my sister. Before he left, he was driving our dad's car (dad is in a nursing home and the title is still in dad's name. Brother has dad's permission to drive the car) and insured it himself.

When he went out of state, the car was left at my house so I put it on my insurance policy - liability only. Brother came back in September, sober and looking good. He found a good job quickly and a place to live and he has the car again. The insurance didn't even occur to me until this morning in a wave of panic.

On Christmas Day, my sister and I both got a call from brother and he was drunk. I didn't ask him if he was but it was obvious to my sister and I. So this morning, I realized that he could be drunk driving, he could kill an entire family, and I will be sued for millions upon millions.

He has to get his own insurance, obviously. DH says we need to give him a 2 week grace period to procure his own insurance, but I think since he is (unconfirmed but I know it in my gut) drinking, I need to send him a text saying he needs to get his own insurance today! I asked my sister what she thinks I should do, and she's a big softy when it comes to brother and said we should give him a month. Ugh!

What to do?!

Comments (30)