SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
paulsmth2

Coffee for the Holidays

9 years ago

We drink a lot of instant coffee. Recently the company that produced the brand that we used decided to delete it from their product line. That sent me off on a testing spree trying everything I could find in the stores and the internet. Almost all of it was not something we liked.

One brand that rose to the top was Mount Hagen. Not bad.It was priced at about 14.00 dollars a jar....around 5 ounces. Another was a whole foods house brand at around 6.00 a jar. The one we liked and settled on for a new coffee was a french coffee...Carte Noire...at around 14 dollars a jar. They have a UK version at around 10.00 a jar. When ever I place an order I have to order about three or four months of coffee at a time. The link to the website is...

http://www.enjoybettercoffee.com

So what is your favorite instant coffee. Perhaps it is one I missed in my search.

We don't buy each other christmas gifts anymore. Instead we buy something that we both can enjoy and which will make the holiday season a bit more festive and enjoyable.

This year I am going to order coffee beans called...Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee. About twenty years ago I had a cup of this coffee and thought at the time it was the best coffee I had ever tasted. It is currently priced at roughly ...44.00 a pound.

I am purchasing the coffee from the Clifton Mount estate in the Portland parish of Jamaica. The estate is at the highest elevation of about 4300 feet so the Jamaican Coffee Board allows it to be labeled JBM. I put the link to their website below
It is going to be interesting to see if I still think it is the best coffee available. So not only are we going to be having some excellent instant coffee for the holidays but we will be brewing hopefully some really great coffee from JBM.

Have you ever had Jamaican blue mountain coffee. If so, what thoughts do you have.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jamaican Blue Mountain Coffee

Comments (33)

• 9 years ago

We have the best coffee imaginable in our little coffee paradise in the PNW. I wouldn't be tempted by your link, nor by any instant coffee.

• 9 years ago

Why is this message being reposted? Some have suggested spam from Paul Smith due to the inclusion of links to products in all of his posts. The original post is still available. This is a duplicate.

This post was edited by compumom on Tue, Dec 16, 14 at 18:40

• Related Discussions

Best ever holiday baked goods?

Q

Comments (21)
    The best coffee cake ever. I can get my husband to do anything if I make him this cake :-). The best thing is it freezes extremely well. In fact, DH says it's even better after being frozen. Vanilla Steusel Coffee Cake 3 cups all purpose flour 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda 1/4 teaspoon salt 1 1/2 cups softened butter 1 1/2 cups sugar 3 eggs 1 1/2 cups sour cream 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla 3/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar 3/4 cups chopped nuts (I prefer walnuts in this) 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon 2 tablespoons vanilla mixed with 2 tablespoons water Preheat oven to 325. Butter 10 inch bundt cake pan. Sift together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt, and set aside. Combine butter and sugar in large bowl and beat until fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Blend in sour cream and vanilla. Gradually add sifted dry ingredients and beat well. Combine brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon in a separate bowl. Turn 1/3 of batter into the bundt cake pan. Sprinkle with 1/2 of the nut mixture. Repeat Add remaining batter and spoon diluted vanilla over top. Bake 60-70 minutes. Cool completely before removing from pan. Sometimes some of the cake sticks to the pan. Use flexible spatula and put back on cake. It's not noticable, and once you taste it you won't care.
    ...See More

What's on your cocktail/coffee table?

Q

Comments (38)
    Family Room/ soapstone topped iron based coffee table. We keep it pretty clear of clutter because we routinely prop our feet up on it: Living Room's coffee table: It's an antique from India. The metal grill top has no glass over it, so the woven tray holds a cup or glass when needed. Put a glass down on the grill itself and it'll tip over in a nanosecond. The santo here the Archangel Gabriel (the pup is my sweet Chloe). Lynn
    ...See More

RECIPE: From our Newspaper: Cream Pies for the Holidays!

Q

Comments (2)
    Thanks Tart--that's a real handy list !
    ...See More

What do you serve for your holiday breakfast and lunch?

Q

Comments (12)
    I cook for DH, myself and the kids. I always make monkey bread in the morning. Kids can open stocking while it bakes. I sprinkle powdered sugar on it and call it snow. Pot roast is our tradition for Christmas dinner, which will be served mid-day, neither lunch nor dinner, around 2:00. In between I put out munchies- crackers, cheeseball, cheese cubes, deviled eggs, grapes, pepperoni... We open under-the-tree gifts while the roast cooks. If they get hungry in the evening, we pull the leftovers out. We end up playing a lot of games and watching some movies, so the rest of the day after the meal is laid back. I like having all the work behind me by then, relax the rest of the day. I do not have a traditional Christmas Eve meal. Depends on how busy I still am, sometimes it's pizza! ;o) I'm OK this year, so I plan to put a pork roast (actually almost 4 lbs worth) in the crock pot tonight, let it cook all night, shred it up tomorrow dinner. Between that and Christmas day leftovers, we'll eat Sat and Sun, too. That's my plan. I really do not enjoy all this cooking. If I didn't think it would disappoint DH and kids, I would not do it. I'd find someplace that serves dinner Christmas day and go out! Oh, that would be so much nicer! Make a reservation, we'd all dress up and go out together, no cooking, no clean up. I resent the work, the time it takes to do it compared to the time it takes to consume it... Not worth it. I feel unappreciated.
    ...See More
  • 9 years ago

This is utter spam. Pointless spam too.

• 9 years ago

No... not spam.

Just good coffee ladies...

Compumom... so glad you liked my post and recommendation on Berkshire pork chops and got around to trying them. You might like the coffee also if you tried it.

• 9 years ago

I figured he'd requested the responses all be deleted and he'd reposted. I only replied to move it down the page. Just don't click on his links and he'll go away.

• 9 years ago

This thread is NOT spam - PaulSmth has been around for over a year and posted many times. I also post links, and in fact just did one on one of his other threads. I doubt that makes me a "spammer"!

Back OT:
    We're not instant coffee lovers. It's so easy to do a Chemex drip - great beans are everywhere these days; the Chemex filters are compostable and the grounds are great in my garden, LOL.

I do, however, keep the Medaglia D'Oro espresso powder on hand. Useful for the times when I need a pinch for a chocolate dessert, and as an emergency back-up if we run out of coffee beans!

• 9 years ago

If he's not a spammer, why did he post identical threads on this subject? Identical, same link (I presume, since I didn't open either) only a day or two apart. Looks like trying to drive traffic to his links.

• 9 years ago

I also don't think spam, even though five minutes of research shows that historically he hasn't come back to converse in many of the threads he started, even when direct questions are posed. But I definitely see that as an online etiquette issue, not spam.

Anyway, this thread made me smile because I had all but forgotten all about instant coffee. For a while I lived with a wonderful family who started each day with Folger's Crystals in the microwave. I passed, preferring their evening drinks. A quick search reminded me that even Starbucks sells instant. I think I got a free sample once and wasn't impressed. And this, coming from someone who (half-reluctantly) relies on Keurig coffee for every day.

Personally, if I found an instant coffee that I liked I'd continue to use it. And rather than take on the "effort" of brewing a pound of beans, I'd use the $44 to treat my wife to a memorable breakfast at a romantic cafe known for its spectacular coffee. But that's just me. :)

• 9 years ago

Someone must have complained to the webmaster about my post and/or the responses. The thread plus responses were deleted. In any case I just reposted the post without the responses.

For those of you who go to slurp your lattes and cappuccinos at Starbucks each morning you might be interested in knowing that Starbucks has been selling Jamaican blue mountain coffee for awhile now. I believe they just doubled their purchase amount from the previous year. The price I saw was about 60 dollars per lb. One brewed cup was around four to five dollars.

• 9 years ago

This thread is distinctly lacking in the christmas spirit - those of you who are the habitual grumps know who you are!!! People have been banned from this group by the grumps - very regrettable.
    People can drink what they like as far as I'm concerned.

• 9 years ago

I don't think referring to members as "habitual grumps" is in the holiday spirit either.

I missed posting to this thread the first time around. Went looking for it yesterday morning and it was gone.

I think everyone is entitled to drink whatever they want. That said, it is an open forum, and when someone posts about corn bread, or about using cake mixes or even about instant coffee, they should expect others to comment with their own views and opinions.

Personally, I am not interested in drinking instant coffee. But if PaulSmith is, he is welcome to it. And as much as I like a good cup of coffee, preferably French Press, I'm not willing to spend $40.00 a pound or more for coffee beans.

~Ann

• 9 years ago

Well said Ann.

I did read the first posting and after reading some of the responses, I went back to read some of PaulSmiths other posts. I agree that he puts a lot of links to some very expensive items. So be it.

If one does not like what he posts then don't open them up and read them in the future, or don't respond.

Darlene

• 9 years ago

Instant coffee! I don't believe I know anyone who drinks it anymore. It's so 1950.

Kona (not the blend) and Brazilian Bourbon Santos are two very, very good coffees. You should try them. I much prefer them to Jamaican Blue Mountain.

• 9 years ago

I am not a Habitual Grump. What triggered OP's suspicion was the astonishment in discovering that an instant coffee drinker would be recommending a coffee that costs $40 a lb. After viewing this post, I recalled the previous thread and searched the CF search engine to discover the earlier thread in tact. Seeing duplicate posting I mentioned the suspicion that this was a spam post. If the thread has been deleted, then Paul was ok to repost. It doesn't appear that Paul has product links in all of his postings.
    Besides, it was Paul who enlightened me about Berkshire pork!

On Topic-- I'm not certain what Jamaican Blue Mtn coffee tastes like but the price is awfully steep! Peets coffee at $16+ per pound is pricey enough for us. ;-P

• 9 years ago

My brother actually drinks instant. But he has absolutely no taste at all when it comes to food. No onions, no garlic, no seasoning except for salt and pepper. Like I said no taste so instant coffee is good enough. He would hate the meals that I cook. He lives on the other side of the country so no worries about cooking for him.

~Ann

• 9 years ago

My Dad who is 94 and only 3 weeks shy of being 95 also drinks instant coffee. He loves Nescafe Decaf!!! So yes there are people out there who still drink it! I wouldn't mind trying starbucks instant but I don't see it in the store here yet. To each his own!
    Joann

• 9 years ago

Sometimes I use instant coffee as one of the ingredients in my BBQ rubs for chicken, ribs.

dcarch

• 9 years ago

Why be so surprised at expensive instant coffee? Buying a Starbucks every day, or using the Keurig cups, comes out to a hideous amount yearly/per pound. Plus, those 1-cup thingies are non-recyclable, guaranteed to make us Californians feel guilty [smile].

I love Jamaican Blue Mountain, but the 'cream of the crop' all goes to Japan. Ever since the Japanese discovered JBM, the supplies I've tried here in the US are horrible, faint echoes of what JBM should be. I once described it as "the only coffee that tastes the way coffee smells."

We're like PaulSmth - we don't really count costs when it comes to food. I recently bought 3 lbs of prosciutto (a new US brand, Duroc pigs) from Williams-Sonoma because it was a different brand than I can find in the delis here, and my DH adores the stuff. We're comparing it to the other four prosciutto/jamon available: Lupi Parma, San Daniele, La Quercia, and Jamon Serrano. All good, all slightly different.

We just finished a croissant tasting, searching for a nearby source for Parisian-style croissants. Otherwise, we only know two sources: a French hotel 50 miles away or a French bakery 110 miles away...despite there being a whole lot of bakeries in the San Francisco Bay Area. Sandwich-style croissants abound, but the delicate buttery Parisian croissant, not so much.

Food is my hobby: cooking, dining out, buying/tasting. Like they say, life is too short to eat bad food or drink lousy wine!

• 9 years ago

Well, I guess I have no taste, then, because I've been drinking instant coffee all my adult life and liking it. I've had excellent coffee in restaurants, but it's a gamble because I've been served BAD coffee many times, too.

Nowadays, I mix Kava coffee (which supposedly has low acidity) and Folgers decaf and keep the mixture in an old coffee jar. I drink only one cup a day, with artificial sweetener (gasp!) and lactose-free skim milk.

If I brewed coffee, I couldn't make my half-and-half mixture without brewing two pots or mixing two batches of coffee beans--hardly worth the extra trouble.

One summer, when DD was home from college, we used her coffee maker for a few months. I didn't think the coffee tasted much different from instant, and I didn't like the added chore of cleaning the coffee maker.

OTOH, I don't use "cream of" soups or boxed cake mixes, so I'm not a complete heathen!

Sue

p.s. I DO count costs when it comes to food.

• 9 years ago

I also keep Medaglia D'Oro espresso powder for recipes, such as Pumpernickel bread, mocha desserts, etc. Kevin buys coffee beans, but I do not drink coffee at all, except for when we were on Maui, and then I drank Kona coffee, which I loved. It didn't upset my stomach as much as other coffee I've had, but I can really do without coffee and not even think about it. I do use coffee and mocha liqueurs, however. I sometimes make Irish coffee pie, and I use instant espresso for that. In Mexico back in the 1970s I used to drink Nescafe y Leche, which was steamed milk with instant coffee. I remember liking it, but I also remember that I had much better coffee when I visited Antigua, Guatemala in 1979. The coffee there was much better than what I'd had in Seattle, but I haven't been to Seattle since 1982. Back then, Vancouver had more and better coffee houses than Seattle. I stopped drinking coffee altogether by 1994.

Kevin went to Seattle last year to meet with Amazon (one of his clients), and from his report, it is very different from when I was there.

Lars

• 9 years ago

Most Australians drink instant coffee :-( Since we visited Viet Nam some years ago, I really can't hack instant coffee, so when visiting friends, I opt for tea. Instant tastes "thin" to me.

• 9 years ago

>>Kevin went to Seattle last year to meet with Amazon (one of his clients), and from his report, it is very different from when I was there.>>

Yup, it's hysterical to see coffee carts in front of coffee bars! We love our coffee down here in the Bay Area but not THAT much, LOL.

But have to admit, we enjoyed the coffee more in Portland than in Seattle. Philz was good - imagine, decent airline coffee! - Stumptown even better. Interestingly, we have gotten absolutely awful coffee on several trips to the Wine Cty where we visit often (we always visit a mix of old favs and new places). Third Wave dreck, not worth the $$.

For visitors to the SF Bay Area, there's good competitors to Peet's: Highwire, Blue Bottle, Thanksgiving, and (our fav) Flying Goat.

• 9 years ago

We had our first pot of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee on Christmas morning. This is a very good coffee. It is mild with good flavor and aroma. An excellent coffee made to be enjoyed.

Would I use this coffee on an everyday basis. No I would not. I had to buy some misc ground coffee from the store in order to run about five tests to finalize the ratio of coffee to water. Then I had to determine how much coffee we would want in the morning and then set the machine up and have it ready to turn on when we got up. Too much work for everyday use.

The amount of coffee we may need or want each morning varies from day to day. Instant coffee works much better in this environment. Besides, I like the french instant coffee....Carte Noire. Will I buy the JBM coffee again next year for the holidays. Yes, definitely. I will add it to the other items we purchase of fruitcake from the monks, Berkshire pork chops, pates and terrines from d' Artagnan, cheeses and lobster bisque from the stores, chocolates from See's and a couple of cases of oranges from Florida. Also a couple of cases of very good wine rated 90 points and above... tasting notes included. One of the few things I actually make for Christmas Eve is homemade eggnog. I only use Grand Marnier in the eggnog. It makes a very smooth drink. Delicious.

Anyway, it was a very nice Christmas eve and Christmas morning.

• 9 years ago

My 95 year old FIL drinks it and always has, career military served in WWII, Korea and 2 terms in Vietnam, I bet there were times when he would have felt very blessed to even have a cup of any kind of coffee. I wouldn't dare say anything negative to him about his choice of coffee after what he has sacrificed.

• 9 years ago

I buy instant coffee to keep on hand. My husband uses it in his Cappuccino concoction that he loves to make. I bought Maxwell House instant last. Instant coffee is very expensive if you go by the pound because it doesn't weigh very much. You only use a bit more than a teaspoon for a cup.

Just a tip if people suspect a spammer, click on their name and see if they just registered just to make that one post. If someone's been around for a long time....well hello, they probably aren't here to spam us.

• 9 years ago

Your reasoning is a little simplistic, arkansas_girl, there are some people who are paid to recommend commercial sites on social media etc; if you wanted to make a decent living doing this it would be in your best interest to look like a regular- and post regularly to earn for each post.

• 9 years ago

Spam is just part of the Internet...I'd just ignore it if you believe something is spam. I get so much spam email on a daily basis, it's just unreal. I just delete it.

• 9 years ago

If I want "just" one cup of coffee, the French Press does the job and I don't have to keep other types of coffee on hand. Clean up is quick and the coffee is good.

I use only the best tasting coffee I can buy for everyday coffee. For me it's Brazilian Bourbon Santos. My SIL uses Kona ($50 a pound). The pleasure of drinking a good cup of coffee can't be overstated.

• 9 years ago

paulsmth, we're homemade eggnog fans too! Soooo much better than grocery store stuff. Hmmm, never thought of using Grand Marnier; interesting. I've been using Mt. Gay rum and Remy cognac, but next time I'm experimenting with a couple of the bourbons we've bought recently.

You might get a kick out of perusing a local upscale artisanal food delivery service that operates in some parts of the San Francisco Bay Area, including the county where we live. Not a real replacement for our better specialty markets, but I've started using it because sometimes it's a nuisance to have to make an extra trip, and/or this delivery service has some items that are hard to find.

We haven't liked everything - for example, we think Verve coffee is one of the worst third-wave roasteries around - but it's great having a reliable source for San Benoit creamery, whose products are erratic in my area. And I would probably never buy sausages from GEggs, simply because great sausages are everywhere in the Bay Area and I can get them more easily/cheaply elsewhere.

Not everything is available all the time...so for example, earlier this month we got some fabulous croissants from a couple of vendors, which apparently won't be available again until after the first of the year when the holiday rush dies down. Interestingly, they organize deliveries by day of the week, as many vendors are such small businesses they need to restrict when they can offer their products. The breads, for example, are super-fresh.

Anyway, makes for interesting insight into some of the smaller artisanal vendors that aren't household names anywhere but here:

Here is a link that might be useful: Good Eggs artisanal food delivery/SF Bay Area

• 9 years ago

I do not drink instant coffee at all, but I do have a jar of instant espresso powder on hand to use in ganache and baked goods. I don't know anyone who has ever drunk instant coffee, so I can't comment on the taste or the cost.

I have a Chemex and buy green beans from Burman Coffee, then roast my own. My favorite is a Costa Rican Terrazu, but I wouldn't turn down the Jamaican. My green beans cost me about $6 a pound, so I'll stick with that.

If I want just one cup, I use the French Press, but I do like the coffee in the Chemex much better.

I don't care for eggnog, which is odd, because I like eggs and custard a lot. I definitely agree on the Berkshire pork, the See's chocolate and Florida oranges this time of year, very yummy.

Happy Holidays, even though I can sometimes feel like I am a habitual grump.

Annie

• 9 years ago

No, Annie, you're not hahaha!
    I had oranges in Florida once, or rather fresh juice and it was wonderful. Much nicer than the juice we get here.

• 9 years ago

Islay, I think food is always better when it's close to its origin. The grapefruit I had fresh in Texas was sweet enough to eat without sugar and the oranges I picked in Florida were so sweet and delicious, there was nothing I've ever tasted quite like that. The citrus we get here in Michigan is nothing to shout about, no matter where it's from or the time of year, so I just mostly skip it.

I've been pretty grumpy lately, with this house remodeling going on. If I have to think about one more paint sample, I'm going to have a breakdown, I swear. I just don't understand why I can't paint everything white or beige or something and get it over with. Elery, however, actually LIKES colors like red, while I would be crazy if anything was actually painted red in my house and I had to live with it. (sigh) Yes, it is indeed making me grumpy.

Annie

• 9 years ago

Hopefully the new year will see you well on the way to finishing the remodel!

Sponsored
Avenir Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars37 Reviews
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Loudoun County