SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
pumpkinhouse

Check out my sloppy walnut floor installation

pumpkinhouse
9 years ago

I had brushed American walnut flooring put in most of the main floor of my new house. Needless to say it cost big bucks. There are a few floor outlets in the wood that they cut around. This is where the problems started...the installer did a lousy job making the cuts and the outlet covers do not cover them. He is full of excuses, saying he was told they would cover 1/2" beyond the PVC pipe. We measured and some of these cuts go beyond 3/4". Whatever, he only needed 1/4" for his expansion joint, so he was just being sloppy. So he comes back and totally goops epoxy in the holes and manages to slop it all over the adjacent planks as well. It looks literally like poop.
Besides the outlets, there are these big gaps all over between the planks. You can see the lighter wood underneath and junk is accumulating in them. I can fit a dime and even a quarter in some of them.
I also suspect they did not install temperature sensors underneath the floor, which is required for the warranty to be valid. Grrrr why can't anything go right with my house? The installer starts to get an attitude with me so I did a background check on him and he has a criminal history. Even if I felt he could fix this floor, I can't let him in my house.
The floor was purchased from a reputable store in town and they selected this installer.

Comments (18)