SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
soonermagic

Looks Like I Have a Problem with Walnut Floor Install

soonermagic
16 years ago

We installed real wood walnut floors in 85% of our home. Slab foundation, recessed with moisture barrier and plywood subfloor. Slab poured in November. Flooring went in in late April, early May, so slab certainly was "dried out" by then. Nailed down installation. Varying widths of 3-inch, 4-inch, and 5-inch. Beautiful when they went in.

The floors were installed immediately after sheetrock. HVAC was not running at time of installation and still is not running. The day the wood was delivered, the installer said humidity too high because sheetrock hadn't dried out. Waited two days and installation began. So, two days "acclimation" of wood inside the house before the installation began.

Six weeks later, hardwoods are expanding and cupping, presumably due to moisture, humidity. We've had a record rainy spring early summer. It's rained here 23 consecutive days, and the seven day forecast says another seven days. Builder says HVAC can't be hooked up until concrete (drive, patios, etc) are poured; can't pour concrete until this weather dries out. Builder estimates we are four months from completion.

What questions should I be asking builder? Are there remedial measures we could take immediately to try to preserve this floor (portable dehumidifiers, perhaps)? In your opinion, was this done per proper installation method? Is it industry standard that HVAC should have been running before installation of real hardwoods? Does walnut have qualities unlike other woods (oak, which is standard round here) that the installer should have taken into consideration? Do you need any additional info from me to give me insight? What would you do? This was one of the most significant single item expense in this house, so is very important to us.

Thanks for your thoughts and insight.

Comments (12)