SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
nomorebluekitchen

Check out my tile layout and give me some advice...

nomorebluekitchen
15 years ago

The basketweave is the floor tile; then the subways and the accent strip are the wainscot. At the very top (not shown because it hasn't arrived yet) will be a marble pencil liner.

Questions:

1) is it okay that the accent strip tile is deeper (ie, sticks out a bit further) than the subway tile? These pieces aren't polished on the sides and I don't know if this will look okay or if I need to buy another set of pencil liners (yikes, my budget!!!) for above and below the accent strip.

2) Do you think I need a tile base piece below the subways, or should I just run the subways all the way down to the basketweave? I had my heart set on the marble base...$21 per LF...77 LF...did not happen! I love my kids but seriously, no. I don't like the cove base that comes with the Daltile subways. It is inexpensive but looks cheap. I found a different ceramic base that looks good and is somewhat more affordable but I'm not sure about mixing yet another shade of white in the room. Sorry, no photo of it.

Overall layout view:

{{gwi:1474410}}

Side view of the tile showing the depth difference. Since I shot it dead on from the side it overstates the depth difference a bit.

{{gwi:1474411}}

Head on view of the accent piece which shows a more realistic version of the depth difference:

{{gwi:1474412}}

The look I'm going for is not formal but rather classic old house bathroom.

Thanks for your input.

Comments (3)