SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
publickman

Bread machine broke when removing crumbs

Lars
9 years ago

Last weekend I decided to clean out the crumbs in the bottom of my bread machine, and so I turned it upside down to dump them out. I did not shake it, but I tapped it gently to get the crumbs to fall. When I plugged it in and tried to use it, the menu no longer worked, and it would not go through a cycle. So it appears to be broken, and I moved it to the garage so that I would free up the space that it occupied on my counter. I had made a beautiful cover for it out of a sample of very expensive fabric that was black with white embroidery, and so it was not an eyesore (anymore), but now I have decided that I have had it with bread machines - at least for now. The machine (a Panasonic) would make horribly misshapen loaves if left to its own devices, but I discovered that if I took the dough out half way through (after two hours) and shaped it by hand and returned it to the machine, it would make beautiful loaves. This meant that I had to be around during the four hour process and could let it run overnight or during the day when I was not at home.

At this point, I have decided to go back to making bread by hand - or maybe use my KA mixer again. To give myself enough time, I will make the dough one evening, store it in the fridge and then bake it the next evening. I did like the way my bread machine made pizza dough, but that is probably easy enough by hand as well.

Technology fails again. Now I have to go back to old recipes to get oven temps and baking times. I have been baking some of the loaves in the oven anyway, and generally I would bake them at 375 degrees for 35 to 40 minutes, or until I got an internal temp of 200 degrees. I know the temp and time vary depending on how much fat is in the recipe, and so I will have to vary the way I bake the loaves, although I think the method I am using now (375 for 35 min) will work for most of what I want to bake.

Should I replace my bread machine or was it wasting valuable counter space? I only have a 15" wide space to put it, and so I cannot buy a large machine. Should I feel liberated now that I can have more variations in the breads that I make? I think I'm leaning that direction. Should I try to fix the one I have?

Lars

Comments (27)