SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lpinkmountain

Lidia Bastianich & bread crumbs

lpinkmountain
16 years ago

Two weekends ago I made Lidia Bastianich's bread crumb pasta recipe. Thanks to Carol and Lucy who helped me find it. I put them in some poultry broth I made of questionable provenance. At first I didn't like the bread crumb noodles, but I put half of them in the freezer and had them for lunch today and they were much better. I think they benefitted from "resting" and drying out. Also, the broth wasn't very good. I think I salted it when I made it, and then salted it again when I thawed it out of the freezer. I'm not even sure if it is turkey, duck or chicken broth or when I made it.

I LOVE Lidia and her recipes. She often serves as such an inspiration for me, since her food is very basic, lots of fresh ingredients simply prepared, just what I like. I'm reall enjoying her show "Lidia's Italy" on PBS.

Can anyone help me find her recipe for apple tart with bread crumb crust. I looked online for it and can't find it. I looked on her Web site for the show and other Web sites. She made the tart a couple of weeks ago. It had poached apples in a crust made of ground hazelnuts and bread crumbs. I have both, plus apples, so would like to give that dish a try. It has a crust on both the bottom and top, but she made it in a tart pan.

BTW, here's the bread crumb pasta recipe if anyone wants it.

Passatelli

Yield: about 4 servings

3 1/2 ounces (80 grams) bread crumbs

4 ounces (100 grams) freshly grated Parmesan

Large pinch grated nutmeg

Salt

2 large eggs

6 cups chicken stock

Place the bread crumbs, Parmesan, nutmeg, and a pinch of salt in a large mixing bowl. Add the eggs and carefully mix together with your hands until it forms a soft dough-like consistency. Allow the dough to rest for approximately 20 minutes in a cool place. Once ready, place through a potato ricer to create short noodle-style pasta shapes.

Bring the chicken stock to a boil. Add the pasta to the chicken stock. Once the passatelli have risen to the surface, they are ready to eat.

Kind of like skinny matzoh balls if you ask me!

Comments (10)