SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
fawnridge69

Old fashion tomato sauce

I was taught this recipe 40 years ago by a girlfriend's mother. Mom was Sicilian, the girlfriend was 1st generation American. I guess you could call this authentic.

Day 1
In a large pot over a medium flame (I use a deep lobster pot) brown ground beef and two types of sausage (mild and hot and stripped of their casings) for just a couple of minutes. Don't try to cook them!
Lower the flame to the bare minimum and add Tuttorosso Crushed Tomatoes and Contadina Tomato Paste in equal proportions (1 large can of Tuttorosso to 1 small can of Contadina) and mix well. According to Mom, these two are the ONLY acceptable brands to use. (If you disagree, she'll smack the back of your head... I did, once.)
Add garlic powder, crushed oregano, crushed basil, brown sugar, and crushed red pepper. If you're used to accurate measuring, put your spoons away, this is sauce, not science. (Really. Mom used to smack me in the back of the head when I asked how much. Just go with your personal taste. There's a lot of getting smacked in the back of the head and the utterance of various Sicilian phrases when you question the cook.)
Stir every 15 minutes or so and make sure you get the bottom of the pot where stuff will occasionally start to burn.
Cook for at least 3 hours and refrigerate overnight.

Day 2
Reheat on the stove and when the sauce is hot, give it a taste to see if you need to add more sugar, etc. Stir every 15 minutes or so and make sure you get the bottom of the pot where stuff will occasionally start to burn.
Cook for at least 3 hours and refrigerate overnight.

Day 3
Reheat on the stove and when the sauce is hot, give it a taste to see if you need to add more sugar, etc. It should be difficult to discern meat particles at this point. Stir every 15 minutes or so and make sure you get the bottom of the pot where stuff will occasionally start to burn.
Cook for at least 3 hours and it's done.

This post was edited by fawnridge on Wed, Jan 28, 15 at 10:59

Comments (53)

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH